mguerra

Fully Open Top Damper Cooking Method (experiental)

Re: Chicken Fat - Split from First Rotis Cook topic.

Wow' date=' all I can say is that was some fantastic chicken tonight.[/quote']

Ok I'll bite. Can you post a succinct synopsis of what you did? My favorite KK chicken remains a 450 F cook, quite different from constantly tending the open charcoal bed on a rectangular rental cooker, which I also love. Tomorrow is a great source of Farmers Market chicken, I'd like to try your approach.

• Whole chicken cut in half (not spatchcocked as I was going for local flavor)[/*:m:16c8knei]

• Seasoned chicken with vinegar, paprika, salt, pepper[/*:m:16c8knei]

• Chicken on upper rack, direct, no pan or stone. Top damper completely open, bottom completely closed (used Guru fan (1/4 open) set around ~250-275 to achieve 275-300 dome). You should be able to achieve this without the Guru fan by just cracking the bottom daisy wheel slightly[/*:m:16c8knei]

• Mopped and turned probably 4-6 times during cook (mop was vinegar, salt, pepper).[/*:m:16c8knei]

• 275-300 until leg bone easily moved[/*:m:16c8knei]

• 350-400 finished out/crisped skin/add sauce if desired (I used my Muddied Mustard in the sauce section which is a Carolina style sauce)[/*:m:16c8knei]

Note, typically this style chicken is a little dryer than some might want. It was the local flavor I was looking for (and why sauce is definitely a must on the white meat). This process easily takes 2 hrs or longer. You could brine the chicken before if more moisture is desired. But thought it was spot on what I was looking for and don't plan on changing a thing the next time I cook it! Was a dead ringer for Carolina BBQ's chicken in New Ellenton, SC which makes my favorite.

-=J

I am trying it again today. Since we know that there is a decent degree of flame/heat control with the top open, I am going to try it with more of a pit BBQ flavor.

I didnt have time to stop and get a whole fresh chicken to quarter, so I thawed a few whole breast halves, and a boneless skinless for my ever_health_conscious wife. I have them marinating in something close to the roadside chicken recipe that LarryR posted, and will do the frequent mop and flip over high direct heat.

The frequent mopping, with everything dripping in the fire should be about perfect.

I expect that this might be some of the best chicken ever.

Well, it was the best chicken ever. I am still on the fence with the full open top, though. It has produced DAMN good chicken both times, but it still requires the bottom airflow to be tended in order to maintain a temp, but the full exhaust from the top is definitely providing a cleaner flavor. This was a couple of whole bone-in breasts, and a boneless/skinless, along with some "loaded" crashed potatoes. Of course, I didn't realize I was out of bacon until I went to put it on them -doh! They turned out tasting great in the grill, but I couldnt get the tops browned - either because of the walls on the pan, or I needed higher dome temps. They were still damn tasty, just not golden brown on top. fetch?id=66882fetch?id=66883fetch?id=66884

post-6451-139082394923_thumb.jpg

post-6451-1390823950_thumb.jpg

post-6451-139082395077_thumb.jpg

Well, Jasen has been telling me about this spin-top-open/bottom-draft-closed idea for a little while. Sounded nuts to me, but I tried it on some chicken thighs and they were excellent... so yesterday I tried it on 2 split chickens, a ribeye roast, and a round-tip roast. Dome temp stayed around 375-400 with just a crack in the bottom draft. Everything came out absolutely delicious. And still moist. So, I'm giving the technique a thumbs up... :smt023 will be experimenting more with it. On my POSK, of course. :?

Cxmjm.jpg

Re: Fully Open Top Damper Cooking Experiment!

Here's a simple setup for chicken. Open the top damper fully. Open the lower daisy wheel fully, with the door itself closed. Start a full chimney of lump and spread it out over a bed of lump. Cook the chicken on the main grill, direct. You get enough air flowing through to not over smokify the chicken, your temp will range from about 300 to 400 with these vent openings, your chicken comes out perfect. I turn the chicken over once when it's about 130 degrees and take it off at 170. Dead simple.

Man' date=' this thread is changing names and locations like a chameleon![/quote']

I tried to make a new first post, explaining the thread, but this new forum software would not let me add this thread under that post for some reason. Decided it was time for this to be in techniques and called something other than chicken fat...hehe.

-=J

Here's a simple setup for chicken. Open the top damper fully. Open the lower daisy wheel fully' date=' with the door itself closed. Start a full chimney of lump and spread it out over a bed of lump. Cook the chicken on the main grill, direct. You get enough air flowing through to not over smokify the chicken, your temp will range from about 300 to 400 with these vent openings, your chicken comes out perfect. I turn the chicken over once when it's about 130 degrees and take it off at 170. Dead simple.[/quote']

I would keep a close eye on the chicken with the daisy wheel fully open and cooking on main grill. It doesn't take too long for my KK to go way over 400 with a fully open top damper and fully open daisy wheel. I prefer using the upper grate instead of main grill as it gives you a little more air space from flare ups and you get more reflective cooking from the dome. You really don't even need to turn the chicken on the upper grill.

-=J

Re: Fully Open Top Damper Cooking Method (experiental)

I think mguerra was talking about using a minion method to keep the fire slow. I can see how in just an hour, the top down burn would not have time to get roaring. Eventually though, with both top and bottom vents open, I think things would get pretty hot.

I did chicken last night, trying it on the upper grill as suggested. And yes, the radiant heat from above, cooked it so well from both sides that I did not need to turn the chicken. It was spatchcocked and then the halves separated. Skin side up, simple spicing and the skin was brown and crispy just from the ceiling's radiant heat. Nice.

And yes, 'with an open top vent, no sooty or smokey flavours in the chicken.

I didn't do a minion method though. Blasted it with a weed torch. So I did have to back down the bottom vent a bit.

Start a full chimney of lump and spread it out over a bed of lump. Cook the chicken on the main grill' date=' direct.[/quote']

I think mguerra was talking about using a minion method to keep the fire slow. I can see how in just an hour, the top down burn would not have time to get roaring.

My KK would be above the chicken incineration point in less than an hour using a full chimney of charcoal and wide open top/bottom vents. Maybe using briquettes (where the Minion method began) top start verses bottom start makes a difference due to ash content. But I have never seen any real difference using natural lump on where the fire begins...top or bottom. Now, I always start from the top since that is easiest for me, whether it be low/slow or raging inferno.

Just FYI for this thread, I did finally get around to doing the boston butt using the open top damper method. It was my closest effort ever to real pit cooked BBQ. It took 8 hrs verses the usual 12 hrs and it was controlled using the Guru the entire time. It did use more charcoal due to the fact you are venting all the heat out of the top. Have also continued soley using this method for my chicken.

-=J

Actually I think my description was inaccurate. With the vent openings I described the fire would get hotter than 300 -400. What happens when I cook the chicken is the temp is increasing while cooking. You just get a good result in the end. About the time the temp is really getting hot the chicken is getting done.