LarryR

4th of July 2011

What are you throwing on the KK this 4th of July weekend? I'll probably do multiple cooks. On the 4th I'm thinking something easy like burgers and dogs. Saturday or Sunday leaning towards a Wagyu brisket, some pig candy, ABT's and maybe barbacoa.

How about you?

EDIT: Check that, neighbor just came over and asked if we wanted to come over for a BBQ on Sunday to celebrate the 4th and if I'd want to bring some ribs. Got to love your BBQ reputation preceding you huh?

Re: 4th of July 2011

I'm going to do a pork butt. I haven't done one of those in a while and I've been craving pulled pork sandwichs. Then, for that first cook after the low and slow I have some boneless Rib Eye steaks. Steaks come out so good after a low and slow. Must be all that pork fat and left over wood in the charcoal basket that does it.

Re: 4th of July 2011 I am going to do 2 pork butts. Gotta love the pulled pork. I use Mesquite as my wood for the smoke. Layer it in. My sauce for the coating on the butts is a 1/3 bbq sauce, 1/3 ketchup and 1/3 mustard. Smother the pork buts with it. Then I put a liberal dose of garlic powder, Onion powder, and Cumin over the top. Lastly I put a sprinkle of Montreal seasoning for a dose. The bark is out of this world and a family favorite. The dog even seems to know when I am cooking this. I do a slow cook and pull it off around 190 degrees. I have included the photos for your perusal. I am also going to attempt the Korean BBQ Baby Back ribs mentioned on this site. I am thinking of cooking them as an appetizer for my guests and have them drip over the top of the butts. Should be good. Have a great 4th e1. Tim n66911 n66912 n66910

post-6669-139082395275_thumb.jpg

post-6669-139082395278_thumb.jpg

post-6669-139082395289_thumb.jpg

Re: 4th of July 2011 n66913 Our brisket for a party on the third... Host's wife made special request not too fatty (I chose brisket over ribs or butt) and not too smoky (I figured she meant Apple not Hickory but couldn't remember the names :roll: ) Host assured me he and guests indeed nevertheless wanted BBQ.

post-6617-139082395293_thumb.jpg

I did Filet Mignon on Friday, helped my father do St Luis Style ribs on saturday with his new and rarely used KK. Doing 5 salmon fillets today....smoking them for about 4 1/2 hours, and the tomorrow...pizza on the KK. Sorry, no pics

Doing a Peruvian chicken that we cook on the roti. Then doing a pork collar for the 4th.. Nothing better that pulled pork sandwiches and coleslaw..

Tony

P.S. Building a wood fired pizza oven in the back yard. I know we can do pizza on the KK but the wife wanted the pizza oven so why not...

Re: 4th of July 2011 n66914 n66915 n66916 So pot beans (precooked 18 hours at 195 F) going in on top to "see clay and fire". Meanwhile, we're plotting what to do with our first tomato... The clay pot is a 26 cm or 10.2 inch diameter cazuela with lid from Spanish Table. (Soak 12 hours before first use.) We bought it for Moroccan tagine stews, but it fits a pound of pot beans perfectly. It finally sunk in that traditional cone-top tagines are designed to go over a fire, not in an oven, so the cone stays cool and condenses steam back onto the stew. Sticking a cone-top tagine in an oven is rather affected. Same as putting a giraffe's food on the ground: Unclear on the concept. In Morocco they do put tagines in the oven (work with what you have) but they leave the top off.

post-6617-1390823953_thumb.jpg

post-6617-13908239531_thumb.jpg

post-6617-13908239532_thumb.jpg

Re: 4th of July 2011 n66917 Of course, following this logic, I did try using a generic Surly Table terra cotta tagine over our small Weber. Struggling in conceptual quicksand, here. In Morocco they keep feeding the brazier fire, mini version of "two wood fires" for classic American BBQ. The Weber fire faded out, of course. Better just to choose a clay pot adapted to an oven, and use the rock-steady KK as one's outdoor oven.

post-6617-139082395324_thumb.jpg

You guys are making me hungry as I don't get a 4th this year. In Russia for 11 more days until my retirement, and my KK is on the Pacific due to arrive about a week after I do in the US.

A big salute to all our guys and gals protecting us in Iraq and Afganastan.