Saison

KK in NY Times

Re: KK in nytimes

I don't think the guy bought into the versatility argument. He said he thought he could do anything on a metal cooker. I did point out that you could do it easier on a ceramic cooker, but we didn't go into specifics. Like, yeah you can cook a port butt in a webber kettle overnight if you want to add briquettes every hour. Oh well, I suppose if everyone had one, we wouldn't feel so special, :D

Re: KK in nytimes

He could probably do anything in May in North America on a Weber. Try -15c in Nova Scotia come January. :lol:

The Webers are fine units for the price, but they certainly have limitations. I thought Weber's take on ceramics was odd. AFAIAC a ceramic is as easy or easier to use than their Bullet. There isn't any rocket science being performed. Other than the KK grout that is.. :mrgreen:

Re: KK in nytimes fetch?id=66918

He said he thought he could do anything on a metal cooker.
Back with my previous cooker (pictured above, which fell apart, leading me to upgrade to a Komodo Kamado), I only thought a Weber was good for improving wireless thermometer reception. But I've moderated my views... Yeah, I've seen (more on other ceramic forums) people dissing Webers, and it strikes me as as rather disingenuous. Or rather, insulting the intelligence of anyone who's a good cook with fire, and knows a Weber in the right hands is an amazing instrument. Tell them it's not, their BS meter goes off five alarms, and we miss out on another enthusiast joining our ranks. Tell them it's like you've established an interest in photography, now spend up for a good camera, and the argument makes more sense. Our little Weber sits near our KK, and we just used it the other day. A chuck steak, sousvide one hour at 132 F, and I just needed a minute of incineration on each side to give it a taste of the fire before serving. I sure don't miss having to wake up every two hours, and coming back to bed smelling of smoke. For high temps such as pizza, there's no comparison. While Laurie was enthusiastic, my ploy to lift the "wife acceptance factor" of this purchase was to make noises about building a pizza oven in our backyard. Ever notice how much those cost, and how much space they take up?!

post-6617-139082395334_thumb.jpg

Re: KK in NY Times

The most unquestionable fact from the entire article, came from the Primo boss:

“People love these grills,†he said, as he swabbed a steak with olive oil and garlic. “And I love the way they sell. It’s a pyramid scheme. You sell one grill to one guy. And he sells two to his friends.â€

True on so many levels ...

The grills sell themselves. Invite guests for dinner, and unless they know someone else with a ceramic grill, they will be amazed at the difference in the flavors. While not a literal pyramid scheme, ceramic grills (of any variety) are sold by the evangelist owners, not showrooms, or big advertising campaigns.

Going back to 2006 and even earlier, the growth of KK is the same way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You guys are circling your wagons like the guy actually thinks his business is a pyramid? Or do you doubt that the overwhelming majority are sold by word of mouth and friendly demonstration, which was the analogy the guy was trying to make?

I know of four people over the last several years who have acquired a ceramic grill in large part due to my evangelism - one just bought a BGE last month. They can't all justify the cost of a KK, but they still knew they needed a ceramic grill after experiencing a few meals from one.

I also have a baby Grill Dome, which I thought for the money was a good deal. I don't use it very much anymore since I got rid of the POSK and upgraded to the KK, but it still comes in handy for grilling a couple of brats, burgers or chicken breasts for dinner.

If I had it to do over, I'd go up one size more on the Grill Dome to a large, as the baby is very small and harder to control temps in because of the surface area to volume. And, I also had to replace the original lower grate (ceramic disk w/small holes) with a cheapo grill rack to get decent airflow and pretty much only use Weekend Warrior briquettes in it. Medium sized chunks of lump work OK, too, but you have to hand pick them out of the lot, so the WW briquettes are just an easier way to go.

But, overall, if you want to get into ceramic cookers for a reasonable price, I think they are the way to go, personally.