obanker

Halibut Anyone?

Re: Halibut Anyone?

I tried a Moroccan tagine with Halibut recently. Very tricky, and I wasn't pleased.

The out-on-a-limb risk of trying new recipes or methods is that by trusting the recipe or method, one is setting aside well-founded concerns over how the food will come out. With experience, one is a better cook improvisationally, because then one takes full responsibility for how the food comes out. The trick with learning new ideas is to manage at the same time never to yield this authority.

Halibut can be absolutely wonderful, but let's be honest: What are we up against? Halibut has a bland, almost hollow taste that cries out for fat, salt and texture, and has to be cooked to spot-on doneness to succeed. My Moroccan tagine overcooked, and at the same time the smoke very unpleasantly amplified the "hollowness" I refer to.

Imagine instead lots of garlic, butter, nail the salt, burn marks but perfect texture in the middle, and I'm asking you what tequila you want me to bring over.

For contrast, take a salmon and brine it four hours in 1/2 cup salt, 1/3 cup sugar per gallon water, then lay on a bed of supermarket basil over a low fire with subtle apple smoke, and the fish becomes melt-in-your-mouth wonderful as it reaches your preferred texture. The fattier the salmon, the better. But this isn't halibut, and nothing like this will work for halibut.

[Edit] Apparently I liked our first try, but the second try drew in too much smoke, cooking uncovered.

• Thanks 1

I recently did Halibut steaks on the KK. I used Cedar Planks , cooked around 380 degree, for about 15 to 18 minutes. My marinade was Good Season Salad Dressing packet, mixed in about 1/2 cup, or less, of Soy sauce and a bit of water to add volume/liquid. There really was not a lot of marinade....they did not drown/soak heavily. It was pretty tasty, different for sure. The cedar planks definitely infused some cedar flavor. I soaked the planks for about 4 hours prior to cook. Probably could have put the planks on a bit sooner than the fish. I also got pineapple slices in a can....grilled those along the halibut, and the Pineapple was AWESOME grilled. A bite of pineapple and fish and I rather enjoyed it. May sound odd to others!!! but if you like it, that is all that matters...

• Like 2

Hello obanker,

Have a look at the following post:http://komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3738

The steaks that you see are halibut steaks. I cooked them on the lower grill at high temperature, about 450-500F.

Try the following marinate:

Olive oil

Lemon juice

Dijon mustard

Crushed garlic

Grated ginger

Old Bay seasoning

Fresh chopped basil or parsley

Let marinate for about an hour. This was a home made marinate and unfortunately we did not keep track of the quantities

• Like 1

I tried halibut last night. Steaks were about 1 1/2 - 2" thick, with skin on. Marinated in refrigerator for about an hour  (equal amounts of olive oil and California sauvignon blanc, along with the zest and juice of one small lemon, parsley, shallots, salt and black pepper). Grilled on a slotted fish pan on the lower grate at 400° F, skin down for about 3 minutes, flipped, brushed with melted butter, and cooked for about another 12 - 15 minutes until the fish was 133° - 142° F, depending upon the cut of the steak.

Fish turned out moist and well flavored. Served with wild rice and sautéd julienne snow peas and shiitaki mushrooms. Lots of compliments. Next time I will increase the temp to about 425° F and not peek as much. First time with halibut so I was overly cautious.

Sorry, no pics as the guests were waiting for dinner.

• Like 1