ajaeger

First and second cooks.

I was set on the pork butt, but hubby wanted to do ribs. As it was getting late in the morning, we decided on ribs for the first cook, but he bought both chunks of meat. Did the ribs (set 1/2 of the slab in a brine of water, salt, brown sugar and garlic, didn't brine the other 1/2 just to compare) Used a rub that was 1/2 McCormick Maple something-or-other and 1/2 onion flakes. Cooked for 3-4 hours. Not really sure of the temp as we were up and down and down and up learning how to regulate temps. When I went to remove them from the rib rack, they were stuck. As I pryed them off, I was surprised to get squirted with some rib juice! Also threw on some corn on the cob for about 2 hours. Everything was great. Husband loved the ribs, even picky 4 YO daughter complimented on them. Sons and dog were equally happy.

That was last night. After dinner, I started the pork butt in the fridge with some rub/paste. Followed the Nakes Whiz's Mojo Smoked Pulled Pork recipe pretty much to the T. Started the butt around midnight, checked it at 5am and it was still at 230. When I got back up around 8, the fire was out and temps at 100. Had to run out to get more lump, took me FOREVER to get the dang fire started again. All the while the pork was sitting on the patio cooling and the dog was sitting at the door drooling. Was a little concerned that the cool-down period this morning was going to ruin it, but then I got it back in the cooker at 230-250 for another 5 hours or so. Had to grab a meat thermometer and the meat was at about 200 when I pulled it off.

Again, it was stuck to the grill. I thought I could stick a fork in either side, pick it up and move it 20" to the platter I had waiting. Agh, no! So juicy and tender that it was falling apart as soon as I touched it. Pulled it, threw on some Mojo Sauce, put it on a roll with cole slaw and it was great! Again, daughter loved it.

Very exciting. Hmmm. What to cook tomorrow....

Re: First and second cooks.

Not really sure of the temp as we were up and down and down and up learning how to regulate temps.

The secret here is to bring the temp up slowly and make sure the body is heat soaked. When you first light the grill, the body sucks up heat like a sponge.. once heat soaked it gives off heat. So if you try to set the temp before the body is heat soaked your temps will go up when it starts given off heat.

When I got back up around 8' date=' the fire was out and temps at 100. Had to run out to get more lump, took me FOREVER to get the dang fire started again. [/quote']

Always shake out your charcoal to remove the ash from the previous cook and top off the charcoal. You should never run out of charcoal in a single cook. Trust me this is a mistake you will only make once.. ;)

Start every cook with a full basket of lump. Even a quick grill.

It's amazing how forgiving a pork butt cook is. I too have had the fire go out, and find this out in the morning. You just re-fire, finish the cook, and it comes out fine!

Once out of curiosity I put on a frozen pork shoulder. Came out perfect. It's just impossible to goof this up.

Also, when you go to take something off the grate, use a big metal spatula to free it up first, just slide it under all around until it is loose, then remove your meat. Most fat cap down butts and briskets will stick, no problem though if you use the above trick.

You can get gloves like these locally, or online. I use them to handle hot meat and to move and remove hot grills and thermometer probes:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XA ... B000XAL1QE

These aren't leather, but some kind of cloth lined silicone.

I was getting ready to share another idea for handling hot meat / pulling pork (throw away latex gloves over cotton gloves) but, then I realized you included handling hot grills!

WOW! I'm impressed. I won't admit how much I paid for gloves to do that with.