½ CUP GROUND COFFEE

¼ CUP KOSHER SALT

½ CUP PACKED DARK BROWN SUGAR

¼ CUP HOT PAPRIKA

2 T GROUND CARDAMOM

2 T GROUND GINGER

1/3 CUP CHOPPED FRESH GARLIC

½ CUP VEGETABLE OIL OR AS NEEDED

COMBINE ALL THE INGREDIENTS EXCEPT OIL IN A FOOD PROCESSOR. ADD OIL TO MAKE A THICK PASTE. RUB MEAT AND MARINATE AT LEAST FOUR HOURS OR OVERNIGHT.

• Like 1

Re: little help please

Spices like coffee are like coffee the fresher the better and ground just before use..

Freshly ground cardamon will fill the house.. You won't believe how much more flavor and aromatics from fresh.

I get all my spices from World Spice in Seattle.

Their fresh dried parsley is amazing on tri tips too..

;);)

Larry is correct; it's wonderful on beef. I am particularly fond of it on beef back ribs. If you haven't used cardamom before, I would suggest buying a small amount of ground cardamom first. The seeds are a bit pricey, so if you don't care for the flavor, then you're not out too much $$$. If you like it, then follow Dennis' advice, and purchase the seeds.

1st time i did this brisket i made a mental note to let the meat dry well in the fridge before applying the rub because oil and water dont mix, i could not get the rub to stick. my mental note got lost just as the recipe for the rub did, had the same trouble. i think next rub i will use a nice porter or maybe a bass ale for the liquid.

the cocoa sounds interesting.

Re: Coffee Cardamom Rub

I have just returned to Singapore after a week in Oman. The local coffee is made with ground coffee and ground cardomom (and traditionally dates are served with it). A google serach will produce various recipes for Omani coffee. One major variant is whether one uses only the ground seeds or the whole pod. I would have thought for a rub the whole pod makes sense but toasted first.

Simon