MadMedik

Using a Dutch Oven (cast iron) on the KK? Anyone use them?

I am just dying to use a dutch oven, cast iron cookware, on the KK. I don't even have such a pot/oven. Does anyone regularly, or somewhat regularly use one on the KK?

I am considering the enamel coated pots...not the traditional cast iron only. Seems they are easier to maintain and clean. Does enamel NOT work on the KK well, or does it matter really??

Any recipes, or suggestions? Do they work well on the KK?

I am thinking of stews, beef or pork roasts, chili, etc... on the KK. Just saw a nice "pulled pork" recipe on the internet using such a pot in the house oven. Sounded great. About a 6 hour cook or so. Thinking this could be converted to the KK... :P

thanks

Re: Using a Dutch Oven (cast iron) on the KK? Anyone use the

I use the traditional black cast iron DO's frequently. (We have several from camping days).

I have found that by cooking at 170F (for low) and 195-200 (for high) I have no trouble doing "Slow Cooker" recipes.

Note: Be sure to use the lid.

I also do casseroles in the Komodo-Kamado great smoke flavor.

This unit is the best thing since snuff. Cooks anything you want just about any way you want for pennies a day. While keeping the heat outside.

We just need some good lump................

Hey Madmedic,

I have a very good recipe to Norwegian meatballs, that i use my grandmothers cast iron Dutch Oven for (its called braising). i will try to pull it out and put it on here, its alot of typing so may take me a while. By the way my old seasoned D.O. is a breeze to clean!

Keep in mind that if you want to keep your seasoning on a black un-enameled cast iron, you don't want to cook anything acidic like a tomato based dish or citrus chicken etc.

Enameled can handle the acid, but they are not necessarily easier to maintain. Baked on stains can be VERY tough to remove (bar-keepers friend can help) and you also have the potential for chipping on the enamel.

I use both in the KK but for different purposes. One of my favorites is a wood fired cast iron skillet breakfast with skillets for eggs with fresh rosemary twigs, bacon, etc. Breakfast is amazing in the KK!

Forum Family:

I have something that is akin to a dutch oven. It is called a flat bottomed potjie. The Boers who settled in South Africa introduced this type of cooking kettle. Most of them have three legs. I have a No. 3 flat bottom with 8 quart capacity, and a No. 14 three leg potjie. The No. 14 has a 36 quart capacity.

Obviously, the larger potjie is too large to fit the 23" OTB KK. However, I have often been tempted to use the No. 3. So, I am happy to see this topic come up. The No. 3 weighs 25 pounds empty, and with food to capacity, could weigh as much as 40 pounds. The potjie would have to be placed on the lower, searing grill. Do you think that the 40 pound weight, concentrated into about an eight inch disc shaped area, would cause the heated grill to sag? Also, do you think the ceramic ledge that the grill is resting on could be damaged by the weight of the potjie and its contents? I would appreciate some opinions, especilly from Dennis. :) There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum, and I am confident that I will get a well reasoned answer to my questions. I eagerly await a response. Thanks

I'd like to hear more from those using enamel in the KK....I currently use cast iron for baked beans in the KK, etc, but have to say I don't like the required maintenance to keep it seasoned...I'm using a lodge logic which is supposed to be easier, but it isn't.... Enamel users please weigh in...do the finishes get destroyed by smoke, etc? I guess if you went with a grey or black it wouldn't much matter...can you set enamel directly on the coals as you can with cast iron? Not that I ever do that unless camping...

@Madmedik: Yes, that is what three legged potjies look like. However, they also come in a flat bottomed version. The flatbottomed ones come in smaller sizes than the three legged ones. Here is a pic of my No. 3 flat bottomed potjie. fetch?id=66949 Now, will someone knowledgeable please answer my questions? Thanks

post-6845-139082395774_thumb.jpg

@johnnyboy:

Thanks. I like it a lot. I got mine six years ago, before the price shot up. I only paid $44.95 for it. The price for a No. 3 flat bottom now is $99.95. Here is a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.potjiepotusa.com/default/bes ... otjie.html

The No. 14 three legged potjie that I have set me back $169.97 back in 2005. They are now about $329.95. If anyone is interested in a No. 14, here is a link:

http://potjiepotusa.com/.

These things are, in the world of dutch ovens, as the KK is in the world of ceramic cookers. There is a cuisine that the people of South Africa have developed called Potjiekos. There are many delicious recipes on the site that I will give you, and step by step instructions may be obtained for authentic potjiekos dining. Here is the link:

http://www.potjiekosworld.com/

Happy eating!

BTW: I spoke with Dennis on the phone yesterday. I asked him whether it is okay to use a No. 3 potjie on the KK, using the sear grill. He said it would handle it without any problem. He reassured me that the grill rods will not deform under the 40 pound weight using temps in the 350 range, and that the ceramic ledge that the sear grill sits on would handle the load with ease. Sometimes you have to go to the source... 8)

I can offer a little insight to the question of enamel vs seasoned. I have used enameled crocks, baking dishes, etc on my kk many times. While they cook great, they are a MAJOR PITA to clean. Unless you are using the cleanest of fuel, and don't have anything else cookin that will drip into the fire, the enamel gets coated in a smoke/fire/grease. The longer the cook, the darker it gets and the harder it is to clean.

It was bad enough that at first, I "dedicated" one set of corningware to grill use, so I wouldn't have to worry about getting it quite as clean. But eventually just got a few pieces of cast iron to replace it with. While maintaining seasoning is no fun, I think it is easier than cleaning enamel.

I use my Le Creuset to bake and/or braise on the upper (dome) grill. It rests on a pizza stone and I use a diffuser below it. When I use it, there is nothing else cooking below it. It never gets coated with combustion bi-product, and washes easily.

I was trying to remember where the info on italian pork stew was. The link in post #10 above is not working. Can a moderator or someone help?

Unfortunately I don't know how to make that work. I've tried searching and can't find what you're looking for.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk