fcnich

Can Post more pics now!!

Re: Can Post more pics now!!

One side of the pizza got a bit hot' date=' not sure why exactly why, but was ok other than that[/quote']

file.php?id=652&t=1

I'm guessing that when you put in your charcoal, you dumped the smalls from the bottom of the bag into one side of the basket.. This will cut off airflow causing one side to get all the airflow resulting in one side being hotter..

With smalls you can also get strange burn patterns, best to not use them for high temp cooks where you need lots of airflow. You can also open the rear (gas option) draft door to get more airflow.

You control high temps with the damper top anyway.

;);)

Thank you Dennis' date=' that may be exactly the reason. Mine does not have the rear door though.[/quote']

I never open the rear door, you'll be just fine without one..

The front door can supply all the airflow required for any cooking temp you could ever want..

Just remember to push ash to the back and sides if there is a lot of it and use charcoal that permits air to readily/easily flow thru it.

;);)

Thanks John, i actually did see that someplace on the forum. I will be catering an event in a couple weeks, looks like about 50 people or so, going to use the extruded charcoal, fill the basket may use the minion method to light it. My last long cook went perfect using lump!

I never open the rear door, you'll be just fine without one..

That is the first thing I do after I clean out all the ash from the KK...as soon as I have enough new ash in the bottom, I pile it up in front of the back door..to insulate it and make sure it stays sealed!

Im curious, fcnich - why use extruded on the high temp cooks? The extruded burns up soooo much faster at higher temps than low, and is much more $$ than regular lump. By the time you burn a hot enough fire to cook pizza, for long enough to heat-soak the grill, regular lump will be burning just as clean as extruded anyway, right?

Maybe i was not clear, i am using extruded for a long cook, doing about 48lbs (pre cooked weight) of pork butts for a catering job week after next. The last long cook i did a week ago for the staff at work i used Frontier lump just out of curiosity. I filled the basket the cook was about 12 hrs long at 235, still had about a quarter basket of lump left. Your correct the lump works well for high temp cooks. I got the extruded from Johnnyboy (coverworks) its new to me so this will be interesting but i anticipate no problem. Thanks for keeping and eye on me Firemonkey!!