fcnich

extruded loading question

Re: extruded loading question

I honestly don't think it matters, and I've gone through many boxes of this stuff.

Were one worried about the fire going out, or not lasting long enough, a tight, regular crystal structure might have its advantages. But I've never had a fire go out, or not last 24 hours, so this isn't an issue.

Were one worried about getting enough airflow, a loose, random packing might have its advantages. But I've never felt I needed more airflow with this lump.

The idea that there's a right way to do everything has an intoxicated authority. This isn't always the case.

Kung Fu KK

The notion that one "needs an idea" is deeply embedded in our collective psyche. This may be true for radical moments in science or the arts, but clarity comes as often through subtraction as through addition. Everything you need is right in front of your eyes, you just need to see which parts matter.

Like so many of us, I worried about everything, my first few years with ceramic cookers. Most of it really didn't matter. WIth a bit of experience, the many right ways to use a KK are dream-easy to execute. To see this, it helps to have weekends too busy to fret over KK technique.

I learned this subtraction principle for food in college. I got this idea that I wanted to supplement our dull food plan with the best cheesecake ever, for those late-night times when one gets really hungry. A maven friend (I still wonder what makes someone track such things) immediately named the four people at our school who felt they had mastered cheesecake. Straight out of a Kung Fu movie, I climbed each of their hills to learn their wisdom. Each recipe had some good, obvious ideas, and some ridiculous nuances.

Leave the oven door ajar for an hour afterwards, and only walk by in light colored socks.

:roll::roll:

(Ok, maybe they didn't specify the sock color, but that's what I was hearing...)

Averaging the parts that made sense, and taking the whole situation a lot less seriously, I ended up with good, classic cheesecake.

Actually its a standard cook about 12 to 14 hrs, but i can still use what does not burn. I learned early that you can just fill the basket, and you will never have a problem. Cooking about 48 lbs (precooked weight) of pork butts for about 65 people, i should end up with about 25 lbs finished pork.

Jeez' date=' that is simply ridiculous. Everyone knows that the socks are enough, you don't need to leave the door open..... ;)[/quote']

Yes, but you shouldn't have interpreted that as ONLY light colored socks - pants are also recommended!

Hey Paswesley,

This is my first ceramic cooker, i have used my "old bess" for many yrs, you know the choo choo train type smoker!! The extruded stuff in the picture is not Dennis's i got it from johnnyboy, the guy that does the covers (coverworks) he lives not far from me and works even closer. He sold it to me because his wife does not like it.