DennisLinkletter

Knock down and move in two pieces...

How to remove the top half of your Komodo..

Open the top and release the spring tension and remove the large bolt using the 19mm socket wrench supplied with your cooker.

KnockDwn1.jpg

KnockDwn2.jpg

remove this large bolt

KnockDwn4.jpg

Remove the spring...

KnockDwn3.jpg

Remove the clip

KnockDwn5.jpg

Tap and remove the shaft...

KnockDwn5a.jpg

KnockDwn6.jpg

Now the top can be removed and easily carried

KnockDwn7.jpg

The lower half can be carried using the supplied harness

KnockDwn8.jpg

I'll be the first to admit, I am not mechanically inclined. I took my cooker apart and was quite pleased at how easy it was. Almost fool proof, unless of course you are me! I opened the lid and started to undo the bolt. As you do this the lid will slowly lower. I just kept unbolting and suddenly TWANG!! Luckily the spring stayed attached to the hinge and did not damage anything or injure me. Of course to put the spring back on you have to hook it to the hinge first and raise the lid completely up, so as to line up the bolt and spring. This is a very cumbersome task alone. To solve this I took a thicker board from the top of the crate and propped the lid completely open, which made the task very easy. If I need to move the cooker again, I will make sure the lid is propped completely up in this fashion also, to keep all the tension off the spring.

So, IMPORTANT: KEEP ALL TENSION OFF THE SPRING WHEN UN-BOLTING AND REASSEMBLING, BY PROPPING THE LID COMPLETELY OPEN.

I'll be the first to admit, I am not mechanically inclined. I took my cooker apart and was quite pleased at how easy it was. Almost fool proof, unless of course you are me! I opened the lid and started to undo the bolt. As you do this the lid will slowly lower. I just kept unbolting and suddenly TWANG!! Luckily the spring stayed attached to the hinge and did not damage anything or injure me. Of course to put the spring back on you have to hook it to the hinge first and raise the lid completely up, so as to line up the bolt and spring. This is a very cumbersome task alone. To solve this I took a thicker board from the top of the crate and propped the lid completely open, which made the task very easy. If I need to move the cooker again, I will make sure the lid is propped completely up in this fashion also, to keep all the tension off the spring.

So, IMPORTANT: KEEP ALL TENSION OFF THE SPRING WHEN UN-BOLTING AND REASSEMBLING, BY PROPPING THE LID COMPLETELY OPEN.

:idea: Thanks for reminding me about that:

How to remove the top half of your Komodo..

Open the top and release the spring tension and remove the large bolt using the 19mm socket wrench supplied with your cooker.

I guess that line has to be clarified, I have added your info to the wiki:

http://www.komodokamado.com/wiki/tiki-i ... e%20a%20KK

btw how many people did it tak to move it (did you have to lift it?)

Two. We only had to lift it about four inches to get it on the patio. We had it broke down and all the innards removed. We both grabbed two ropes and up she went. If it had to go up stairs, I would have recruited two more healthy bodies, and probably used 2X4's. It's not that bad but there is safety in numbers for not straining the back. 8)

i remember when me and my son had to do this. ick. way too much work, and i had an appliance dolly to help. uncrated on the grass, and used the remains of the crate as a ramp from the grass to the patio slab. worked ok. didja find the crowbar in the crate before you got started? i didn't :cry: that was a bear!

When our dragon's egg arrived we just stared at the packing crate! The delivery giant (he was bigger than my 6'2" 225# frame) said that if I had some plywood and supports to go under the plywood he would use his dolly to move it to our back deck and my wife and and I could steady it when it went on our back deck. Whew, the 3/4" x4x4 sheet with cement blocks were just the ticket and Mrs Scouterpf did not need to steady the crate. $30 (all I had) were much appreciated by the big guy.

Little did we know about the corner bolts. I elected to use a saws all at the lower corners to release the upper crate, then found out about the bolts. I honestly considered burning off the packing but figured that the wood deck might be adversely affected. Since then the dragon's egg has been the art object and the KKooker for all seasons.

Check with Dennis for his latest manual on uncrating, setting up, and the use of all the pieces parts that come with your KK's.

Note to Sanny, if your avatar is you, you have beautiful dark eyes but Mrs Scouterpf's are darker -- they were what made love her these 39 yr's :smt057 among many other reasons.

Note to Sanny' date=' if your avatar is you, you have beautiful dark eyes but Mrs Scouterpf's are darker -- they were what made love her these 39 yr's :smt057 among many other reasons.[/quote']

Yup, that's me. Thank you, Scouterpf.

But of course The Lovely Mrs. Scouterpf's eyes are exquisite! I have no doubt.

Some day, I'll find The Handsome Mr. Sanny, and he'll say mine are the prettiest. And for him, they will be. :happy8: (of course, I have "other reasons," too :wink:)