TheNakedWhiz

Damn you, Dennis.... :-)

Hey Hopalong...

Here I sit 2 days before knee surgery and what shows up on my doorstep? A box of charcoal. This will kill me almost as much as waiting to uncrate my new cooker back in August' date=' lol![/quote']

Hey Hopalong...

How's the knee doing?

:lol::lol:

Hope you're feeling better and the weather follows suit..

;);)

Re: Damn you, Dennis.... :-)

Well, last Friday, I was certain I'd never walk again. ("Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain, Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown.Walk on, walk on With hope in your heart And you'll never walk again.")

Last Sunday, I thought ok, I might walk again someday, but it'll be like Chester on Gunsmoke.

Today, I think I might walk normal again. Amazing how every single day, it got better. So, I have one chore to do before I can review the charcoal. My wife, yes, my wife thought the way to close the screen door when it is held open by the latch mechanism on the closer is to simply push it shut. Yeah, you really have to push hard, but if you push hard enough, those pesky screws will rip free from the aluminum door and it will close really really easy now. Sigh. :-)

Guide the break

One of my favorite Murphy's laws...

If it jams - force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

Of course, another basic engineering principle is to "guide the break". One slashes bread to control the oven spring. Sidewalks come precracked for expansion. Taking down a large tree is all about this principle. You pre-crack the internal firebox collar in a KK. A systematic design flaw in my "off-brand K" was that it was designed head-in-sand for all sorts of similar effects, rather than recognizing the effect and attempting to guide it.

I'm a big believer in lubricants and solvents before forcing anything, to give it the best chance to move as designed. One can always clean the nasty liquids off later.

Re: Guide the break

One of my favorite Murphy's laws...

If it jams - force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

I'm a big believer in lubricants and solvents before forcing anything, to give it the best chance to move as designed. One can always clean the nasty liquids off later.

Yes, but not even the laws of physics can anticipate the actions of The Wife Who... :wink:

"The wife who....." My wife dropped 2 cell phones into porta potties in 8 days. The first one was covered since she was eligible for an upgrade. The second one was full price and instigated the purchase of cell phone insurance. She also dropped the second one into a toilet shortly thereafter, but got it out in time to save it. From then on, she has been known as "The wife who...." An interesting (?) side story is that shortly after these 3 episodes, our daughter dropped a cell phone into her toilet which necessitated the maintenance man having to come to extricate it from the toilet. Somehow, Susie escaped becoming "The daughter who....".

Now, The Wife Who.... may also tack on a storm door closer to her list of conquests. Back on my feet, I went out this morning to discover that the only parts she saved were the pneumatic piston and the bracket. I found one of the two screws and one of the two pins needed to reassemble the unit lying on the deck. I fear the other items fell down between the boards to a place I can't get to until I have gained a whole lot more mobility with my knee. I asked her if she had saved all the bits, like the screws, and she said, "Oh they all just fell out." The distorted hole in the aluminum door where one of the screws was ripped out would probably claim otherwise. Oh well, as I told her, she provides an endless source of amusement in my life, as I am sure, I do in hers. I love her madly and would have no one else.

Wow! Your family is very committed to being available via phone and text no matter what they're doing!

Personally, I'm doing just a touch of work that comes with a lovely wife who got the order wrong on the following two activities: backing out of the garage -and- opening the garage door. Fortunately, she recognized this before completing the first activity.

Honestly, she would have to do many more such things to square the ledger with my own....