Paswesley

Review: First Burn of KK Extruded Coconut Charcoal

I finally had a chance to cook with a full basket of the new charcoal, using just four Stubby's briquettes to get the coco char going. I put about twelve pounds of coco charcoal in the basket. By the time Mable was heat soaked at 350, the Stubby's briquettes were gone, I'm sure. Dennis' coco charcoal is virtually odorless, as promised. I used no smoking wood for the pork country style ribs that I cooked because I wanted to taste the charcoal's flavor profile. The flavor is, in a word, incredible. I can't even describe the taste, other than to say I have never tasted better. There is something in the charcoal that super enhances the taste of the meat itself. The ribs had such a rich, clean, porky flavor. Dennis and i were just discussing it on the phone and we agreed that the charcoal works like MSG does. Somehow, the coco char super enhances the natural flavors of the food. I can't wait to taste salmon! Food on a KK is already stellar. The new charcoal makes foods taste even better, significantly better. Keep those extruders cranking, Dennis!

Re: First Burn of KK Extruded Coconut Charcoal

Alas! Sheer innocence in the hands of rascals. ;)

Seriously, Dennis was explaining how the charcoal producing process often removes so much of the volatiles from the charcoal that very little good smoke is left by the time the KK has stabilized. The coffee charcoal is engineered to retain more of the volatiles than the average lump charcoal, to permit a better smoking profile. He explains it so much better than I, of course. Hopefully, I have not warped his logic too badly. :D