EGGARY

Set up for Spatchcocked Chicken

Re: Set up for Spatchcocked Chicken

I am cooking the chicken indirect with the Heat Deflector.

The pan of potatoes are underneath the chicken uncovered.

I mixed some margarine with some Dizzy Pig Tsunami Rub and put that

underneath the skin of the breast. This way the juices of the chicken drips onto

the potatoes. As I would say"goodness".

I have done spatchcock chicken several times. I use the main/middle grill, Direct, and 375 on fire temp. Usually cook for about 60 to 70 minutes until breast is about 165 with Thermopen. I will cook first 30 minutes ribs/bone side down...then the last 30 minutes or so breast/skin side down so as to darken the skin. Otherwise, the skin is a bit rubbery... I would allow at least 30 minutes for skin side down....if it gets as done as you like, but still need to cook a bit to reach 165 IT, then turn back over... Spatchcock is very moist, tender, and easy to do.

Eggary:

You better do that cook indirect. I normally cook a spatchcocked chicken direct, high in the dome, at about 425 and it comes out beautifully. But I recently cooked the spatchcocked chicken over stuffing in a pan, the same way, direct, high in the dome, and the bottom of the stuffing was burned to a crisp. I suspect if you cook the chicken over potatoes direct, your chicken would be fine but your potatoes would suffer the same fate.

Susan

For what it's worth, I cook most meats (roast size) indirectly, however, I find chicken cooked directly, but over 'lowish' heat, gives me better results than cooked indirectly (just for chicken). It stays much juicer.

(Still stuck in the holiday home with the gas Weber ... mutter, mutter).

Direct bird over remains of the fire

I go direct, after a four hour brine in 1/2 cup sea salt, 1/3 cup sugar per gallon water. I wait till the fire has died down but the KK is still 500 F.

The only part of "spatchcock" that has survived for me is cutting out the backbone. One day I forgot why I spatchcocked, and I haven't since. I quarter the bird. Less drama, carving later, but so what? This leaves the option of taking off the breasts sooner, but I've never needed different cooking times if I size the bird right. I like how quartering creates more roasting surface area.

Where the spatchcock form comes into its own is indoors in a shallow pan, again at 500 F, salt, pepper and oil the bird over a bed of rosemary, lemon peel and garlic cloves. Pour in wine as one cooks and make a sauce later from the pan drippings and the garlic.

The point here is the bones face down, taking the heat. This also favors the direct fire approach in a KK.

I am cooking the chicken indirect with the Heat Deflector.
The pan of potatoes are underneath the chicken uncovered.
I mixed some margarine with some Dizzy Pig Tsunami Rub and put that
underneath the skin of the breast. This way the juices of the chicken drips onto
the potatoes. As I would say"goodness".

Eggary:

How did you ultimately decide to cook this dish? How did it come out?

Susan

My chicken always comes out good. My only concern is at what temp to take it off.

I have heard to pull it at 155 -165. I go with 159. The cauliflower was very good. I put the cauliflower in a drip

Pan with the potatoes. Really tasty. Next time I will try direct, raised grill.

I do need to post pictures.

Chicken cooked indirect can come out done, but seemingly not done. And with rubbery skin. I think that when you cook it indirect the internal meat temp hits 165 before the skin gets crispy. And when you cook indirect, even though the meat measures 165 it seems juicier and pinker than what we are used to. FDA recommends cook poultry to 165. When cooked direct, some people cook it slightly lower than that, thinking that 165 is over done, overly dry. I err on the side of safety when it comes to chicken and poultry.