EGGARY

Set up for Spatchcocked Chicken

Not cheating by any means, Brett! We all use commercial rubs on this Forum. My pantry is stocked FULL of them. I do whip up my own stuff occasionally, but even then, I often start from a commercial rub (or two) and "help it out a little." 

Never run across Douglas' rubs. They look interesting. My "go to" for roasted chicken is Plowboys Yardbird. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2012 at 10:22 AM, Syzygies said:

I go direct, after a four hour brine in 1/2 cup sea salt, 1/3 cup sugar per gallon water. I wait till the fire has died down but the KK is still 500 F.

Here's a typical appearance, nearly done. One wants the fire to be well on its way to spent, so the walls of the KK are cooking by radiant heat. The skin color isn't as dramatic as other pics here, but this is everyday food for us. We don't eat the skin, or maybe we sneak a bit. What matters is the texture of the meat.

2016-06-02 Chicken.jpg

• Like 5

Just so happens that Dizzy Pig makes a Peruvian Rub. 

https://dizzypigbbq.com/product/peruvian-ish-seasoning/

Update: was inspired and whipped up some last night. Use the Dizzy Pig rub mixed with my homemade Aji pepper hot sauce to make a nice paste that I rubbed onto chicken thighs. I like the flavor, will be a "keeper" in the chicken cook repertoire. 

Edited by tony b

I have a 23 inch KK

I've been trying to cook spatchcock chicken using different methods from youtube  that use standard type kamados. I can never get crisp or properly coloured skin even the the meat is delicious. I have tried going direct and indirect on the main grill at temps of around 350-380F in the dome temp.

I noted that other kamados have their main grate about an inch or 2  higher than the gasket and I suspect closer to the dome because they are a smaller unit to start with.

They also use a single or double level of deflection leaving only a small gap of about an inch all around the unit . This creates a different airflow than KK. Some of the results have been remarkable.

I saw Dennis's video last night with him going through the 32 inch highlights and noticed he recommended getting chicken (and some other foods) into the dome for browning.

So I'm wondering should I go direct heat with bird in the dome or with a deflector foil sheet/pan?

What temp in the dome?

For what should be a very simple dish , I'm getting a bit over the disappointed looks when blonde chicken hitting the table.

• Like 1

Yes, use the upper grate, direct heat. If you want crispy skin, you need dome temps around 425F. I usually cook the bird at 350F - 375F for the first 45 minutes and then ramp up to the higher temp for the last 30 minutes to crisp up the skin. Starting lower allows the bird to roast and remain juicy, then focus on the skin at the finish. YMMV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Using a meat tenderizer and putting butter under the skin has really helped my skin. I cook indirect at 375 to 400 till done. And lately i have started putting the bird on the lower grate for a minute or two direct at the end just for some additional crisping. Similar to what you see in this pic with wings. The rotisserie does a nice job on skin also 

70570798132__890A8E36-AF94-4CEA-89B9-EC2EA6EB362E.fullsizerender.jpeg

IMG_9601.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Dome cooking works for me.  I heat soak for up to an hour so that the dome is good and hot before I put the chicken on the top grate.  I then only cook for about an hour max at 220 C.  Will check the timings next time I do it but I tend to cook chicken hot and fast - keeps juiciness and you get crispy skin.  That said, I usually dry the chicken skin out for a couple of days in the dry ager before the cook. 

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 1