fcnich

Roti Question

I just tried to use my roti for the first time Sunday. First problem was when i tried to tighten the holding bars to the roti frame, the thumb screws stripped before it was even close to being tight. Off to the hardware store, got new screws that i could tighten with a phillips screwdriver. I was cooking 2 turkey breasts about 7 lbs each. The breast on the left fell out about 3 min in, put it back in basket, then the other breast fell out. Has anyone had this problem, or was the turkey breasts too much weight?

Thanks all

Carter

Re: Roti Question

I just tried to use my roti for the first time Sunday. First problem was when i tried to tighten the holding bars to the roti frame, the thumb screws stripped before it was even close to being tight. Off to the hardware store, got new screws that i could tighten with a phillips screwdriver. I was cooking 2 turkey breasts about 7 lbs each. The breast on the left fell out about 3 min in, put it back in basket, then the other breast fell out. Has anyone had this problem, or was the turkey breasts too much weight?

Thanks all

Carter

We somehow had two different suppliers making parts for the same cradles and even supplier A's arms going on suppliers D's cradle.. this of course is a recipe for disaster..

This resulted in some less than KK quality arm brackets produced.

We redesigned and beefed up the components. For the longest time we could not purchase square SS rod.. we now bring it in ourselves from Singapore..

I'll get photos of all the new roti components..

We also now have a small part agreement with out Carson warehouse so these do not need to send them from Indo.

Even a small nut had a $7.50 in out handling charge before..

This will greatly improve out turnaround time for spares.

I'll get shots of the new KK quality components..

these will be sent out free of charge to all who want them.. in fact I've never charged anybody for any parts even parts lost by the customer..

;);)

Hi Doc,

As i said the thumb screws stripped before it was close to tight, i got some replacement machine screws that i tightened down with a screwdriver, i would hold the cradle up side down and the arms would just slowly begin to slip open and the breasts would fall out. OH well, just cooked them on the upper grill and all was ok. I see Dennis posted he knows about it and has a fix. Have a good day Doc!

My temporary fix would be a couple 10 or 12 inch hose clamps around the arms!!

Carter

I'm pretty sure my roti set-up is not from KK, I remember buying it after market; the motor from one guy and the baskets from Viking or somebody like that. It does work if you are careful. We had a thread going for some time about the sourcing of the baskets, and how they were back ordered forever from the vendor. I have not been paying attention but I guess Dennis is providing them now?

Doc, I purchased my baskets from Viking. I haven't had a problem with the wing nuts loosening. My main problem was keeping the chicken's legs from popping out and becoming a locking strut against the grill. So I simply truss the the legs and wings. Also, I added a stainless steel sheetrock mud pan, which is long and narrow, to catch the dripping fat as the unit rotates. This way, I can cook direct heat but not fill the KK with all the chicken fat.

ANy suggestions on lubricating the rotisserie bearing? For various reasons my cooker was unused for extended period and now the bearing seems to be binding a bit.

(Thought I'd add it to this thread since the topic name is appropriate.)

I''d try WD-40 it's probably gunk causing the tension.

Is there any repair that WD-40, duct tape or J&B Weld won't fix?

;);)

The original name WAS Duck tape' date=' as in cotton duck, the backing fabric.[/quote']

My wife hates the frequency after Google-ing something to get the facts.. I'm always right.

I just told her about the duck tape and she quipped ..

There you go again even when you think you are wrong you are right!

:lol::lol: