MadMedik

Smoked Salmon

I did quite a bit of Kooking over the the memorial day weekend. My biggest project was this Smoked Salmon. I purchased four salmon fillets from Costco...skinless. Started it in a "home made" marinade Friday evening, and started the cook on sunday Morning. After reading other recipes, I pretty much came up with a variant of all those....Soy Sauce, Brown and white sugar, Kosher Salt, garlic powder, chili powder, white pepper, water, and 2 Captain Morgan's rum for the hell of it. I have done this several times now, and generally EVERYONE really likes it. I cooked at 180 to 190 degrees for right at 4 hours total cook time. Used Dennis' Extruded Cocoanut Charcol, with 2 chunks of Alder and 2 of Cherry. Not all the wood actually caught on fire and smoked, so perhaps not as much smoke flavor as I had intended. Internal Temp of meat was around 145 to 150. Ended up with 2 fillets on main middle grill, and 2 fillets up high on the upper grill. The picture shows 1 of the 4 fillets. I sliced the fillets into "freezable, individual size) portions. You can see this also. I ended up with about 17 or 18 "frozen bags" of smoked salmon meat. I varied the size of portions...some smaller and some larger. I use the FoodSave vacu-seal bag system. Months later it is still very fresh and tasty. fetch?id=68491