LarryR

Tri-Tip Cook - VIDEO

Here's the Tri-tip cook I did last week. Been pretty busy so it took me a while to edit it but finished it last night. Did this cook during a family BBQ so my grandson butts in and later my son decides to mess with me and gets in the picture so I guess what I'm saying is compared to Mad's videos this is a bit raw. Anyway, hope you enjoy!

TRI-TIP COOK VIDEO

Re: Tri-Tip Cook - VIDEO

Fantastic video, Larry - your KK, as well as the results, look wonderful!!

Hope you don't mind a few questions. Are the grill lifters you are using both the same size at the end? I see you are using a light weight heat deflector. Is it something like a metal pizza pan? Does it work any differently than the heavy ceramic heat deflector?

Susan

Hi Susan, yes both grate lifters are the same size. The deflector is an 18" (I believe) pizza pan that I put a layer of HD foil over. The other deflector I use is a clay saucer, as in what you put under a potted plant. I have the unit that shipped with my KK but I can't bring myself to dirty it and keep telling myself as soon as this clay saucer breaks I'll start using the KK one. The two work quite differently; the deflector is just that deflects the heat but doesn't absorb any. I use the deflector on all my indrect cooks regardless of temp. The saucer absorbs some heat. I place the saucer right on the coal grate and then set my deflector on top of that.

That's my setup, don't know if its right or wrong but I can't argue with the results :smt003

Thanks, Larry - I really appreciate you explaining your process. You obviously have great success!! What I love about the light weight deflector you use is that you don't need to deal with the heavy gloves to move it!! The ones I have - the original that came with the KK and the new KK shaped ceramic deflector - weigh a ton and you can't handle either of them, once the KK is heat soaked, without heavy gloves. Do you think there is an advantage, generally, to using a heat deflector which absorbs heat?

Susan

Do you think there is an advantage' date=' generally, to using a heat deflector which absorbs heat? Susan[/quote']

This is just my opinion and I have no scientific research to back it up; yes, I do belive the ceramic (in my case clay saucer) does absorb some of the "direct" heat better when I"m doing a low and slow cook. I feel it evens out the heat so I'm getting close to even temps from all sides, vs. maybe a hotter temp coming-up from the fire if I was just using my pizza pan as a deflector. Again, just my opinion, I might just be wasting my time and a sheet of foil each time I use my clay saucer.

In other smokers the clay saucer is used more as a heat sink which obviously isn't needed in the KK.

Hope this helps. Got to go rub some ribs . . .

I wanted to update my comments on the clay saucer; I recently moved and tossed my clay saucer. I had a rib cook this weekend and went to foil the saucer and realized I had not replaced it. So I went with my pizza pan deflector only and cook turned out great. So will I be replacing the clay saucer, probably not, based on these results doesn't seem necessary.