Paswesley

Boneless Leg of Lamb Experiment

I am attempting to cook a 5.5 pound boneless leg of lamb that I got at Costco. I undid the webbing, washed the meat and applied a good dry rub. I put the cloves of 1.5 bulbs of garlic and a four inch Spanish onion in the interior and reapplied the webbing to hold it together. Then I dry rubbed the exterior, put it in a container and let it rest in the fridge for 12 hours. I have never cooked this item before, so this is totally new territory. We like the taste of lamb, but have never prepared it as a roast ourselves. I have heat soaked Mable at 280 degrees. She should creep up to about 290 or so, as the meat cooks. Another experimental aspect of this cook is the way that I set up the cooker. From the bottom up: 1. I am using Wegman's Hardwood Lump charcoal for the first time. A Wegman's opened in Columbia Maryland a short while ago, and I decided to try out their charcoal. According to The Naked Whiz, it is the same as using Royal Oak, except it costs less. Locally, a 10 pound bag of Royal Oak Lump is $7.99, while an equivalent amount of Wegman's lump is $5.99. Of course, his review is from 2004, and Wegman's may not still be in partnership with Royal Oak. Since I use R O frequently, I will be able to make a comparison. 2. I am using Dennis' OTB shaped heat deflector, placed on the coal basket handles. Next, I have the lower grill wrapped in foil to provide maximum deflected space. I have a #14 potjie lid wrapped in foil resting on the lower grill. Next comes the upper grill, which has the foil wrapped drip pan lying in the center. Next, I have the sear grill oriented so that the short handles are atop the upper grill. Then the lamb is on a rack, with the rack resting in a chafing half pan. Reference the picture. I will post more process pics. BTW, I have already noticed a longer heat soaking time. I assume that is a result of the twenty pound mass of the potjie lid. The meat went on at 62 degrees internal two hours ago. It is now 87 degrees. fetch?id=68514fetch?id=68515

Re: Boneless Leg of Lamb Experiment

I've got a recipe for boneless leg of lamb stuffed with spinach, feta and pine nuts on my website. I remove the webbing and replace it with string. The rub can stick to the webbing and when you cut it off and the elastic bits snap back, it can throw rub all over. I suppose I could have been more careful, but I prefer the string. But you are looking good!