bobvoeh

July 4th Babybacks

Re: July 4th Babybacks

Yep. I did the same thing - 3 racks of baby backs over cherry and pecan smoke. Not a single picture either, which I think is a first for me. I've gotten bad about taking pictures, an never getting around to posting them, but these ribs while mighty good, were completely imaginary.

I used Royal Oak Natural Lump, cooking temp started at 225 rising to about 245. Left them on about 4 hours. For smoke I used a combination of Hickory, Mesquite and Apple chips. I used to use chunks, but with the small amount of fuel the Komodo goes through, I find I get better results with the smaller chips.

When I cook ribs I like to use the CoCo charcoal and apple wood for the smoke. I like Chris Lilly's rub but my wife is not a fan of the cumin in it so I came up with my own variation it's close to Chris Lilly’s but I add some chipotle and some smoked paprika. I take the blue skin off the ribs and rub them generously and let them set for about 1 hour before I put them on the K.K. at a temp. 225 to 250. I put aluminum foil over the top of the bottom grate and put the ribs on the next grate up. I cook them for about 2 to 2.5 hours like this then I pull them off and wrap them in aluminum foil with some brown sugar, a little more rub, butter, about 3 table spoons apple juice and just a touch of coke a cola. Then put them back on for about 1 hour. Pull them off put a little BBQ sauce on them put them back on the grill for about 15 min. then it's time to eat.