MadMedik

Coconut Charcoal is Amazing

Ok, I did an 8 hour cook for 4 small pork butts last Friday. Prior to this I nearly ran out of lump coals on cook. Friday I used coconut charcoal and just look at the picture. Barely used up 1/3 of the basket. Amazing how efficient. Using leftovers for high temp steak cook right now!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348620484.755480.jpg[/attachment:353trb9h]

Re: Coconut Charcoal is Amazing

Ok, I did an 8 hour cook for 4 small pork butts last Friday. Prior to this I nearly ran out of lump coals on cook. Friday I used coconut charcoal and just look at the picture. Barely used up 1/3 of the basket. Amazing how efficient. Using leftovers for high temp steak cook right now!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348620484.755480.jpg[/attachment:2m9jrjbh]

Remember that the volume of the charcoal is not the only determining factor for how much actual fuel there is for your cook. It's also the density of the charcoal and of course the fixed carbon content..

The same volume of charcoal from soft wood will of course weigh much less than the same volume of dense hardwood charcoal which of course weighs even less for the same volume as the extruded CoConut shell charcoal.

Then depending one how well it was carbonized, the fixed carbon content can range from a low of about 50% to a high of around 95%.

So with these figures in mind, filling the bowl has noting to do with how much actual carbon you have to burn. Perfect example, your 8 hour cook using a full bowl in contrast to a full (16lb) bowl of my KK burning for 85 hours.

Oh last but not least.. Thank you for the kudos..

I have to agree, my KK Coconut Charcoal is Amazing!

;);)