Trathor

Grilling at two temperatures

I wanted to hear back from some people on this forum about if/ how you deal with cooking different types of food at the same time.

My current grill is one of those Drum Barrel Grills (picture is not my grill, but random example from internet):

drum-barrel-grill.jpg

And I tend to make a pile of lump charcoal, spread it around some, and work it from there. Honestly, my best (and favorite) grilling is when I am talking with a cold drink in hand, so I don't pay a lot of attention to if I use the different 'heat zones' or not... but I suspect I at least use them to compensate for the variability I know I get with my current grill.

I specifically want to know if you guys find the need to get the 'Charcoal Basket Splitter Kit'/ find it is not necessary/ some other solution, when you want to cook different things at the same time... say veggies, bratwurst, marinated chicken, burgers and steak all at the same time.

Re: Grilling at two temperatures

One thing you can do is cook on different levels. You can easily have three at once. It's not a complete solution but works for a lot of scenarios. It is a minor PIA when something at a lower level needs to come off, you need some proper gloves to pull the top grills off for a minute. It does work. You can use your current rig along side a KK and get a lot of flexibility that way.

Re: Grilling at two temperatures

Using the new sear basket mod, I've been grilling a lot at two or more temps. Fill one quarter basket (one side blocked off, front/back with the charcoal in the rear half, Usually on the lower grill you can do steaks or burgers on the back half with direct heat and lower temperature stuff (buttered buns, veggies, fish) on the front half mostly indirect.

Mike