Carpetride

New here

Hi all, I'm from the bootheel of Missouri and I've been slow cooking bbq for a while now. I'm considering adding a ceramic cooker to the arsenal although I have never cooked on one. Anyone here make the KK their first ceramic grill? My wife is actually encouraging me buying it but I enjoy the research and even the wait just a bit. I currently cook on an FEC-100 and like the insulated aspect on it and plan to keep it. I have several other pellet cookers as well but use them to a much lesser degree. I like the idea of being able to sear a steak with the KK as well.

Safe to assume that the ceramic will be a slightly moister environment? What questions should I be asking here?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Trent

Re: New here

I had an xl bge for a year before I got my kk. Since the KK arrived, I haven't removed the cover from the bge. The KK is vastly superior in every way. If you are seriously considering one of these grills, take advantage of the current price while you can, you won't be dissapointed. If you do wait, the KK is still a great value at the increased price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I knew nothing about ceramic BBQing until i saw my relative use one. I did due diligence anyway and bought it as first ceramic type Cooker. I LOVE IT. Have not used weber, ugly drum smoker, or gasser since then. I bought a used green egg for vacation home, but there is no comparison in quality and workmanship. There is nothing wrong with enjoying a cooker you use. There is almost unlimited joy using KK. If you have wife buy in, place the order !!! No regrets!!!

Hello and welcome to the KK forum. As the others here have said, #1 you wont be disappointed, #2 if you are buying take advantage of the price now. It sounds like you do quite a bit of bbq'ing, I guess the only other point I would make is that Dennis in now putting into production a larger 32" KK, the price point will be higher of course but in the long run will pay off. A bit of a learning curve to use it, but not difficult at all, and with your expierence at bbq would be a snap! Buy and enjoy for years to come!! I live in northwest Illinois, we are not all that far away!!

Carter

Thanks for the replies so far, I'm very tempted to wait and see the 32 but it strikes me as probably being too big for my needs when I read the comparison that Dennis posted for me earlier. I've got the FEC and a large Traeger 125 if i really need a lot of additional space. Also this won't be my first time with charcoal as I used to own a large Stumps GF224 7 rack model but I found things in that particular design that I did not care for.

I have been known to over do things and "think" I will just stick with the 23 this time around. Always going to be something bigger and better but hey no one ever said that you can't own two! From the sounds of it the 32 would be well suited for a country club or even a restaurant situation...just sounds really big to me.

I have had my grill for about a year. I have really enjoyed it a lot. The 23 inch will cook a full brisket no problem. Or 9 racks of ribs. or 4 big butts....

I am still thinking about the 32 though...I like to throw BIG parties.

The versatility is great too. From smoked cheese to high temp pizzas.

I have had my grill for about a year. I have really enjoyed it a lot. The 23 inch will cook a full brisket no problem. Or 9 racks of ribs. or 4 big butts....

I am still thinking about the 32 though...I like to throw BIG parties.

The versatility is great too. From smoked cheese to high temp pizzas.

Are you using rib racks to get 9 on? I tend to cook baby backs. Normally when I cook them it will be 4 or 5 racks at a time.

Carpetride, welcome to the forum. I am a new owner over in the KC area, and new to ceramic grills. I have cooked on various charcoal kettle grills and gassers over the years. I also owned an electric smoker, but recently sold it. I only kept the gasser around so my wife could prepare quick burgers or chicken breasts on weeknights.

My bronze metallic 23" arrived in mid-October. I purchased out of the LA inventory, and had my KK within about 3 weeks of ordering. The process was very easy overall. As I'm sure you've read here, Dennis is great to do business with, and has the utmost integrity. My grill was delivered when promised, arrived in perfect condition, was easy to unpack and set up, and I was ready to cook within an hour or so.

I am still learning, obviously, but I have to tell you that everything I've cooked on the KK so far has been excellent. I have seared burgers and steaks, cooked salmon patties in a cast iron skillet, made pizzas, smoked ribs, pork shoulder, and turkey. All great. The grill temp is very easy to set, is extremely stable, and will go for days on one basket of charcoal.

To answer your question about moisture, I always used a liquid-filled pan under my meat when smoking on the electric, or for indirect on the gasser. What I have cooked so far on the KK has been without any added moisture, and the finished product has always been very moist (I do brine my poultry).

Overall, just a great product. It sounds like you are an avid BBQ man - I highly recommend that you pull the trigger on a KK. And, by the way, the extruded coco-char is a fabulous product, you should order some when you buy your Komodo Kamado.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I was looking at grills for some time before I came across the KK website, after reading and learning about them I bought it as my first ceramic grill, and never used the gas grill again.

You can cook low and slow, high and fast, grill, smoke, use it like an oven, and make an excellent pizza on the KK :D . Also a very big point for me is the KK looks like a beautiful piece of art all the time. It stays very clean because the tiles are ceramic and can easily wiped down with a damp cloth. It is top quality all the way.

Hope this helps.Good Luck

Anyone here make the KK their first ceramic grill?

My KK was not only my first ceramic grill but also my first charcoal grill. I've had it for three years and love it. I obviously had a big learning curve to face but it went very well. Now I can't imagine being without it. In a couple of minutes I'm going to fire up my Stoker and load my 18 lb stuffed turkey on the KK for my "at home" Thanksgiving - how cool is that???

Susan

My KK is my 3rd ceramic grill. It is hands down the best of the 3, no question! Sounds like you've done your share of Q'ing, so I can tell you this thing smokes like a dream, plus the added bennie of being able to righteously sear a steak at 800+ degrees F. Quality and craftsmanship set this one apart from all the others by head and shoulders. Dennis is awesome for customer service - legendary in fact. It's well worth the money, so pounce at the current price before it goes up!! You won't regret it for a second. :D

My KK is my first ceramic grill and my first charcoal burner.

Right now two pork shoulders are sitting in there after a 12hr - so far, overnight cook.

Without any adjustment temp dropped from 240 at 11pm to 220 at 8am this morning.

No stoker guru etc, just a damn fine product.

BTW internal is up to 163 heading to 195 hopefully by about 4pm for an overall 20hr cook plus rest in foil.