talisker63

Can't put it out!

Obviously I am doing something wrong here, hope someone can set me straight.

On my first cook I diligently turned the lower vent fully closed and spun the top vent closed and snugged it down, without applying significant force to extinguish the KK.

Next day I checked the basket to see how much charcoal I had used, from an almost full basket and what was a 7hr cook.

To my dismay the entire basket was ash.

So this time I applied an extra two handed snug on the top vent and double checked all doors were closed downstairs and after 2hrs it's still going!

The only thing I can see is that the port for the thermo probes didn't have its plug. Could this be what is keeping it going?

I have plugged this now and will see what happens.

How long should it take to extinguish from a 225F slow burn to out?

Thanks

P.S. my first pulled pork is in the chiller. Dinner soon!

Re: Can't put it out!

Are both of your draft doors pushed closed? Be careful about the tophat, you obviously know about that. What kind of charcoal are you using? It's important to use quality stuff. Coco char? It's well worth the investment.

This baby holds heat for an incredibly long time. On a low temp cook, "cooled down" won't happen for +\- 6 hrs. On a 700 deg. cook, I shut it down at 8:00 pm, at 7:00 am, I still had 150 deg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had the same thing happen on my last cook - the rear door was slightly ajar. Apparently, when I was cleaning ash, I must have accidentally pushed the door open. I only realized it when the grill stayed at 250 or so 3 hours after I shut her down. I think your open guru port would supply enough air to keep the temp up some as well.

There are only four places that can supply enough air to keep the charcoal burning...

The two lower doors, the Guru port and the damper top. The Guru plug and damper top are obvious if not closed.

To check your doors, make sure there are no small pieces of charcoal keeping the door from sealing against the frame. You want to press on each corner to ensure there is no movement.. Once the airflow is cut off the coals stop burning pretty quickly but the grill stays hot for a long time.. How long of course depends on hot it was and how cold the ambient temp is..

;);)