jclarkhpa

KK Inside Temp Variation

I have a quick question and hope it's not too stupid.

I just got my KK and love it. I'm trying to get a better sense of it and one question I have relates to temperature. First, I had my BBQ Guru pit sensor in the KK the other day and it was near the top grate (the grate flush with with the opening when you lift the lid). It was reading about 20 degrees hotter than the Tru Temp on the dome. That didn't seem right but I'm not sure which one is off, I'll have to calibrate the guru later. However, it lead me to wonder about the temperature variation in the KK.

Has anyone done a quick study on temp differences in the KK? IF the temp right at the top grill (flush with the opening) is at 300 degrees, then it's hotter at the bottom grill, but but how much? 50 degrees? Alternatively, is it hotter on the sear grill placed on top of the top grill? I'm assuming it's hotter up there since it's closer to the dome and the reflective heat of the dome. If I were to cook pizzas, I'm guessing I should put the pizza stone on the sear grill on top of the top grill? If I had an idea of how wide the temp variation is from top to bottom inside the KK, I think it should help me when planning where to put my meats, etc. Does it matter or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,

Re: KK Inside Temp Variation

I find the Tru Tel in the dome reads about 25 deg higher than my Stoker temp when I'm cooking on the main grill level in the earlier parts of the cook. After a couple of hours as time goes on and the grill heatsoaks and the food heats, the temps come closer together. Its hard to predict because there are a lot of factors such as the temp of the food when it goes on the grill, the mass of the food, the temp you are cooking at, etc.

When you cook up high on the sear grill on top of the main grill, the proximity of the dome to the food creates a different effect than cooking at the main level. It's a good place for pizza and I also do spatchcocked chickens up there to ensure a crispy skin.

It takes a little while to figure out what you like to cook at what level and at what temp. Having all those options is one of the things that makes the KK so special.

Re: KK Inside Temp Variation

Away from fire=less heat. If you're doing a low and slow, I don't think the temp differences matter that much. I have cooked multiple pork butts on multiple layers of grills, and they are done in no particular order as far as location on the grill.

At high temps, a dome temp of anything over 650 deg. Will give you a great sear on a lower grill!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD