cruzmisl

Foil pork butt?

Re: Foil pork butt? I have cooked some butts on my KK and pellet grill and have enjoyed the outcome. There are some who love a good bark on their pork butt which you really won't get when you use foil. I add rub to the butt and inject it with some apple juice, salt, and brown sugar and then cook/smoke it at 225-250. When the internal temp reaches around 160 I pull it off the KK and foil. I add a small amount off apple juice to the butt, foil and place back on the KK until it reaches anywhere fom 195-205. From there let your butt rest in an igloo for 30 min up to a couple hours and your ready to pull your pork, add your finishing sauce and enjoy. This was a little 3 lb. pork butt which I felt was to small and a waste of time to cook. I like, at minimum, a 7 lb. butt to cook. Sorry I did not take any pictures of the butt before pulling. I don't have any prize winning recipe to share but I'm sure others can provide you with some more information. Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2 n67384

post-7406-139082403755_thumb.jpg

Re: Foil pork butt?

Well that's the thing. I don't want rubbery bark. The reason I ask is because I saw on pitmasters they foiled their ribs and brisket to minimize smoke application. I think it was 5hrs bare, 2hrs foiled then 1 hr bare again to crispen the bark but that was brisket and I'm guessing at the numbers.

Re: Foil pork butt?

Well, let's just stipulate that restaurant pork butt is uniformly dreadful and overcooked. I've been to famous places in the south, and I'm holding my ground. One could do better starting from rope and bouillon cubes.

That said, you need to discover what's done for you, without prejudice. What you've had before doesn't matter.

In my opinion pork butt needs to be cooked a bit less, but doesn't need to be foiled.