cruzmisl

berkshire vs. commercial butts

Hi all,

Trying to be the responsible consumer I passed on the commercially raised pork and bought some humanely raised Berkshire butts. Trouble is I find the Berk drier even though the exact same process was followed. I've done a few with the same result so its not a fluke. Anyone else notice this?

Thanks.

J.

Re: berkshire vs. commercial butts

Thats interesting, the Berkshire is a heritage breed, has not been bred for more meat and less fat. I would think that with the higher fat content it would be as or more moist. We have a local hog producer here that is currently raising the Berks, but they are not ready yet. Maybe someone has a bit more knowledge about it and will post for us!

Well, Niman Ranch prefers hybrids to Berkshire, because they like their pigs to live outside in frightfully cold conditions, and the purebreds just can't take it. I've never understood peoples' fascination with purebred dogs either (hip displeasure, anyone?), I like mutts.

Their pigs are rather fatty, this time of year.

Well, I could care less on the breed but I do care about humanely raised livestock. Most farmers choose a heritage breed for that purpose, why I don't know. The butt had a good fat cap/flavor but seemed to lack the intramuscular fat.

And I love my purebred dog, I don't care what you say :)

http://home.cogeco.ca/~4re/head.jpg[/img:t7jivrs7]

Well' date=' I could care less on the breed but I do care about humanely raised livestock. Most farmers choose a heritage breed for that purpose, why I don't know.[/quote']

Niman Ranch contracts their pork from individual farms, specifying breed. Other than forcing the pigs to spend time outside, I believe the methods are humane. Their pork does not want for intramuscular fat; depending on the season, there are challenging amounts present.

(Love the dog.)

That is one gorgeous Dane! As for purebreds, there is no dearth of them available from shelters and breed specific rescues. We get all our Coonhounds from rescues. For anyone who has the heart to do it, it is really rewarding to adopt an older dog, even one near death, to make their lives a little easier at the end. You wind up heartbroken, but you saved the dog from a sad demise. Funny thing, they ALL seem to love brisket and pulled pork!!!

We have a thread going, I think in the owners only area, about humane pork. One way to get it very inexpensively is from the high schoolers who raise them for the stock shows. Most of these pigs don't get bought at the livestock show. Most of them are raised pretty humanely at someones home. They are FAR cheaper than commercial humane pork! I'm getting one next week. If you really poke around, you can probably find an artesinal processor who can make some awesome specialty sausages, bacon, caul fat and charcuterie for you.

I had the opposite problem with Berkshire (Kurabuto) pork. I did ribs and they were so fatty that I had flare-ups (I normally don't use a drip pan for ribs) and burnt the outsides before the interior fat had rendered out. A friend has done 2 butts and had problems; they cooked much faster than regular pork. It cooks differently for sure.

Thanks for the kind comments about my dog. I'm a big dog lover of all types. Sadly, due to poor breeding practices many purebreds have health issues. It seems mutts live the longest and have the least health and behavioural problems. I watched a documentary on the history of dogs/humans. It was eye opening to say the least.

Anyway, the pork is perplexing. I'm not sure what to make of it. I think I'll try one from SRF and see how I make out.