This area wasnt getting any love, so I decided I would go ahead and get the party started. I was craving some sourdough bread to go along with my blackened salmon for dinner, so I set out to make it on the K.

I didnt take pics along the way, since watching yeast grow isnt very exciting, but I did take a picture of the finished product:

dscn1515smpp1.jpg

dscn1517smzs8.jpg

I used my pizza rig to bake it. That means that I have the K supplied deflector on the main grill, some 1" spacers, and a regular pizza stone on top of the 1" spacers. I heated the K up to about 425 dome, and baked it for about 20-25 minutes. Nice crewy crust (I misted it for the firmer texture).

You can see a small dark circle on the bottom of the loaf...That is from one of the aluminum pucks that I was using as spacers. They conduct the heat up from the thick stone to the thinner one that I actually bake on. If I had an upper rack, I might be able to get away with baking directly on the K stone, but on the main grill, I cant keep it from burning up my crusts without using 2 stones.

Made up some Jalepeno butter, spanish rice and brussels sprouts (those were frozen - Green Giant in the Butter Sauce are the bomb!)

I've never baked anything...and I love sour dough bread drenched in butter almost as much as I love greasy pork...and it's healthy like pork too...so I need to start eating more bread-n-butter so my daughter can have me around longer (or collect on the insurance quicker :D ).

Re: Sourdough

Nice looking bread; but how about a recipe?

-=Jasen=-

Man, thats a loaded question! The discussion around sourdough starter can be about the same as making ones own beer - lots of ways to get there.

The starter culture I used was only about a week old, and I started it with the naturally occuring yeast in a bag of organic flour. Not that I am into organics by any means, but the organic flour culture gets kicking much quicker than with the bleached all-purpose stuff. I fed it with some peach honey, because its what I had, but the peach flavor is long gone.

Once you have active starter, the bread is simple:

Make a dough using about 2 cups of bread flour, 1 1/2 cups of starter, and a teaspoon of salt. Add whatever you need to get a smooth elastic dough (flour if its gooey, water if its dry). When you have a nice elastic dough, let it rise in a greased bowl covered with plastic. After an hour or so, take it out punch it down. I put it on the counter and press it down, then use my fingertips to poke it down to about 1/3 its volume. Shape it into a loaf, let it rise a little more, while you heat the grill. When the grill is hot and the bread has risen sufficiently, in it goes.

Can we get on of those starter clubs going where we just keep passing it around :shock: . A lady at my church just passed on some that she knows has been going since before Christ :shock: . That's some good stuff, I ate some of her's and my cut-off finger grew back :shock: .

We had 5000 people or so over for a little family reunion, (everyone is related here) and I only had 3 loaves, but we had enough for everyone and still had enough left over to fill up a few baskets.

It was pretty awesome :D

Well, we don't drink beer...but we have an old well out front where Cathy's great grandmother actually had to draw her water from. One of the kids was playing out there and drew up a bucket and low and behold it was Boonesfarm Wine. It was a great gathering :shock:

The finger was cut off with a saw. No farming accident like the other 90% of the SC residents have. I have a cousin who was born with one of his fingers cut off at the first knuckle. I guess it's happened to so many of his kin that it got into the gene pool or something :shock:

We had 5000 people or so over for a little family reunion, (everyone is related here) and I only had 3 loaves, but we had enough for everyone and still had enough left over to fill up a few baskets.

It was pretty awesome :D

Yah, but you had a couple fishes, too, right? Few baskets of that left, as well? :)

No problem hotsauce, this will be the quickest recipe ever!

The Salmon was frozen and pre-seasoned. Got it at Sams or BJs, There are about 6 of them individually vac-packed in a bag.

Just thaw in cold water for about 20 minutes, unwrap them, and grill them like a burger...about 400* direct for maybe 4-6 minutes a side until it flakes.

I like to make some Jalepeno butter to go with mine. Just finely blend a jalepeno (no seeds of veins) add some softened butter and a few drops of lime juice. Whip it all together and chill.