mk1

pork butt and ribs

A 14 pound boneless shoulder and 6 slabs of Costco back ribs on one cook at 225 for 21 hours for the butt and 4 hours for the ribs....ribs on the main grill and butt on the lower...heat deflector and drip pan..... that way I could add the ribs easily at the end n68711 n68712

Re: pork butt and ribs

Here is one slab of pork belly from my 4H pig, you see I cut it in half. There is another slab, same size. I just put the 4 halves in cure, using a recipe from "Charcuterie". Salt, brown sugar, maple syrup and the pink salt. After a few days I will smoke them. n67412

post-6676-139082404325_thumb.jpg

Did some ribs last night using the 2-1-30 method. They turned out great. I finally broke down and got a Maverick temp probe. I checked the Maverick BBQ temp with that of the one that comes with the KK. The temp gauge on the KK is right on with the Maverick probe. Hats off to Dennis! n67421

post-7063-139082404499_thumb.jpg

Making bacon is ridiculously simple. It takes a few minutes to mix up the cure, which is basically salt and sugar plus a few other options. Slather it on the pork belly and stick it in a ziplock bag. Put it in the fridge. Flip it daily for a week. Take it out, rinse it off, air dry it for a day in the fridge. Smoke it.