lobsterbake

BBQ Guru with KK

Re: BBQ Guru with KK

Probe tree works best as it isolates the probe from the large metal mass of the grate. If you clip probe to grate, you will not get a true temp reading as the metal grate temp changes at a slower rate due to thermal mass. I have heard of others using a wine cork for a temp solution.

http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderent ... obe%20Tree

-=J

I've had the same issue.

I've started clipping the grate probe to the wire of the meat probe as it comes out of the probe itself.

It is close to the grill and to the top of the meat.It is an average of both temps.I allow for some temp difference of a few degrees if I want to estimate the temp of the grill...(I add about ten degrees).

Had no problems up to now.

Probe tree works best as it isolates the probe from the large metal mass of the grate. If you clip probe to grate, you will not get a true temp reading as the metal grate temp changes at a slower rate due to thermal mass. I have heard of others using a wine cork for a temp solution.

http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderent ... obe%20Tree

-=J

I liked the idea of that probe tree and bought it to use with my Stoker but the Stoker probes are too thick to fit in the holes.

Susan

The Stoker comes with a grate clip that has a hole drilled in it .

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/images/products/6015.jpg

You could make one of these in five minutes. They are five bucks from Rock's.

The probe itself has a little silicone sleeve. You push the fire temp probe in to the grate clip hole so that the silicone sleeve is in contact with the hole. This isolates the probe from the grate itself. But consider this. At some point the grate temperature will equilibrate with the air temp in the cooker. How long will it take? I don't know. But for any cook that lasts long enough to NEED a fire temperature control, it will probably be soon enough! I don't think we need to worry about the fire temp probe being in direct contact with the stainless grate. Any cook that is so short that the grate won't equilibrate to the air temp in the cooker is a cook that does not need fire temp control anyway. Because that is just grilling, isn't it? Or maybe pizza. But you use your dome temp TelTru for that.

I wouldn't worry about this...

Susan, just get the right sized drill bit and drill out a hole in the probe tree so that your probe will fit. Or get the clip from Rock's. If you are concerned about this.

Doc: I do have the clip that came with the Stoker and I do use it but I feel like I can't get it far enough away from the food/food container yet within the perimeter of the heat deflector to be as acccurate as I'd like considering that I'm usually making something large when I'm using the Stoker. I'm doing a 10 lb ham right now for my inaugural 2013 cook. The Stoker fired up online right away without any futzing around which made me very happy. Will post pics later.

But consider this. At some point the grate temperature will equilibrate with the air temp in the cooker. How long will it take? I don't know. But for any cook that lasts long enough to NEED a fire temperature control' date=' it will probably be soon enough! I don't think we need to worry about the fire temp probe being in direct contact with the stainless grate. Any cook that is so short that the grate won't equilibrate to the air temp in the cooker is a cook that does not need fire temp control anyway. [/quote']

That would be fine if don't want your control device to actually control very tight. With the mass of the grate, it will not see your fire temp drop for a while. Also wouldn't see it creeping up as soon. Buy hey, for those who just like to be in the ballpark that is fine. I prefer to know what my temps as close as possible for repeatability.

If I get the energy, I'll do a test. I'll stabilize the fire with the dome thermometer, then put in a cold grill with Guru probe in direct contact and Stoker probe isolated and see how long it takes to equilibrate. Seems like something the Whiz would have done...

It is true I have found that tight temp control is really not necessary for my cooks, especially anything done indirect. Low and slows do great anywhere from 200 to almost 300; roasting does well from 300 to 450; and grilling just needs a really hot fire that you can eyeball. At least in my experience. I am far more concerned with the finish temps of the meats. Being a type A, scientist, perfectionist, surgeon, I think the laxity and imprecision of successful KK cooking relaxes me!

Go for it, though unnecessary. It is thermal sink, such as when some people fill a bowl with sand or water and put in their smoker. Which of course has a dampening effect on temperature. While I might not be a type A, scientist, perfectionist or a surgeon, basic physics I understand. Electronics & instrument controls are what I have done for more than 25 years. My relaxation is playing with them in the home setting and having the precision we use in the nuclear industry. Whether it is necessary or not is simply a matter of opinion and choice.

Just clip the probe to the retaining clip for the analog temperature sensor, what you want to measure for low and slow is dome temperature, not grate temp. It is preferable not to have a heat sink on your probe as this would guarantee an overshoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just clip the probe to the retaining clip for the analog temperature sensor' date=' what you want to measure for low and slow is dome temperature, not grate temp. [/quote']

That is subjective as it is dependent on what you are accustomed to using. If you have accuracy and control at the level where the meat is, then by all means, why not use that as it is the meat you are cooking. For those used to reading an analog dome temp for years, and have developed their cooking style based on that temp, then I would agree. But if my meat is on the grate level, then that is where I take my reading. I have been cooking long enough with accurate measurements at that level to account for temp deviations at dome verses grate. Dome temp is 25 degrees or more higher than temp at grate level for a large portion of the cook. They will eventually equalize, at least until you open it up for a check or a mop.

In BBQ, there are few absolutes. Most people take the advice garnered here, and make there own way. Anyone stating you must do this or that is either trying to sell you something or hasn't been Qing very long.

-=J

Go for it' date=' though unnecessary. It is thermal sink, such as when some people fill a bowl with sand or water and put in their smoker. Which of course has a dampening effect on temperature. While I might not be a type A, scientist, perfectionist or a surgeon, basic physics I understand. Electronics & instrument controls are what I have done for more than 25 years. My relaxation is playing with them in the home setting and having the precision we use in the nuclear industry. Whether it is necessary or not is simply a matter of opinion and choice.[/quote']

Have to ask DJ, being another Nuke, where do you work? I just retired after 30 years at Duane Arnold.

Kewl. You're in a whole different ballgame than what I'm used to. I did live in Barnwell back in the mid-70's (high school) while my Dad worked on the never-finished reprocessing site there. So, I rode by SRS quite a bit. Serious business - military guards patrolling in jeeps with machine gun mounts.

Kewl. You're in a whole different ballgame than what I'm used to. I did live in Barnwell back in the mid-70's (high school) while my Dad worked on the never-finished reprocessing site there. So' date=' I rode by SRS quite a bit. Serious business - military guards patrolling in jeeps with machine gun mounts.[/quote']

Small world.