Smokydave

Smoking wood

I've been buying my hickory wood at Depot for some years now and I was never very happy--lots of shredded pieces, lots of bark and sometimes a funky musty bag. Once I returned a whole bag that was full of moldy pieces. I searched the internet for hours looking for wood that was "affordable" and shipping that didn't cost more than the wood. After some time I came across "Fruita Wood Chunks". I ordered a 30lb box of hickory and got free shipping. Cost about 50 bucks but I am very pleased. All big pieces--most at least fist-sized, fresh-smelling, got it in like 4 days. It sounds expensive, but the box should last me quite a while. They have a ton of species to choose from and I highly recommend them. http://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/ fetch?id=68730

Re: Smoking wood

I have also had good results with wood from chigger creek. They offer chunks in a couple sizes, and even logs.

http://chiggercreekproductsmo.com/

They are in Missouri - when shipping is involved, it's worth having a few options to find the closest source. I brought home about 100 pounds of wood chunks as luggage in the airplane at one point.

Not sure if you have a sports authority store near you, but they carry big chunk bags, chips or a huge bag of logs pretty cheap. Limited to hickory, pecan and mesquite. FM, that was the store we went to when you were in town. I would have loved to see the TSA inspectors faces when you showed up at the airport that day in Missouri. Probably thought you were a redneck.

HAWGEYESBBQ.COM is the last place I ordered hickory wood from. Shipping was reasonable and the wood was nice fresh chunks, white and clean, not like that stuff you can get in the hardware store from WEstern.

Buy it by the pound and had a nice selection of woods.

Thanks for the listing, nice to have a choice

sj

Stopped by Wallyworld today to grab a couple of bags of Royal Oak and noticed they are carrying way more smoke wood types than normal. There must have been 7 or 8 of the small chip types. And they added apple to the chunk selection along with the hickory and mesquite they normally carry.

Have been a big fan of HawgEyes for years. They are in-state for me, so most of the time it's just a road trip to load up on rubs, charcoal, and wood. Makes for a fun day - lunch at El Bait Shoppe (great beers and excellent fish tacos), quick run over to Trader Joe's and/or Whole Foods (closest stores to me) and then back home - a good day all around.

I've used them in the past and liked their woods. I like the fact that they stamp the type of wood on each piece. I had a do gooder clean my garage once and combine three (unique) boxes into a single box to save space. What they didn't realize was they created a "surprise smoke" box; I never know if I was using cherry, red oak etc.

Fruita site explains how to properly store the wood. Follow their site to keep the wood fresh as long as possible. I keep the wood in a cool dry place in the garage. Fruita recommends storing fruit wood in a refrigerator as I recall. Peach wood still smokes nicely with good mild flavor. Smoke aroma on the KK is incredible all by itself. Do follow the site on how not to store the wood as you would not want mold to grow on the wood.

:)

The first thing I have to say is that the wood simply smells amazing just in the box! It's the first wood I've had where you can actually smell the fruit, particularly the peach wood...something that I didn't at all expect.

I've only had 1 opportunity to use the new wood as I've been out of town dealing with family issues. I used the peach on a batch of beef jerky I made, so I was going for a lite smoke. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. My plan is to get some more data in the next couple of weeks ... looking forward to that!

I just got some more wood from Fruita Wood. Boy this stuff is nice. I bought 15lbs of hickory and 15 of post oak. I have a small brisket on the KK right now with the oak. I highly recommend this source and I'm itching to try some Aged Oak Bourbon Barrel Chunks which they have now. fetch?id=67539

post-7469-139082406102_thumb.jpg