kad1979

KK & Korin Konro...

Well I pulled this trigger on one of these little guys. Does anyone have any experience with one? I figure for casual burgers, skewers, veggies dinners it would be fun to sit around the table to drink, grill and converse with friends. Kind of like fondue (which I don't care for) but with grilled meat!!!

I won't ever get sick of firing up my Kamado but I think this fills the only gap that the Kamado can't. A super intense direct heat. However, the $7.50 per POUND recommended white binchotan charcoal has me puzzled. Does anyone have experience with this either?

Heck, the initials KK have me thinking I am on to something good. ;)

http://korin.com/Medium-Barbecue-Grill- ... ory=281236

Re: KK & Korin Konro...

I've seen binchotan charcoal in use indoors in sake pubs in Japan. Amazing stuff. I've made charcoal in small batches; one could learn to make a binchotan equivalent.

Ultimately, what matters is carbonization, density, and form factor. The extruded coconut lump that Dennis sells is not so far off on the first two measures, and a Japanese pull saw would be ideal for adjusting the form factor. The price of binchotan charcoal ($6/lb now at same site as your binchotan grill) helps to illustrate the value that Dennis delivers with his charcoal. Note that any charcoal this dense is hard to light; use a propane (or hotter, MAPP gas) torch.

One would need experience with both charcoals, using this binchotan grill, to know for sure.

Never seen one, so I am curious, what does this $240 grill do that this $70 grill doesn't?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/14550452?wmls ... la&veh=sem

Growing up, I remember camping with the little square cast iron hibachi grill sitting on the picnic table, grilling up some tasty meat. Though it looked more like this one.

http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_item ... 7AodUykAag

-=J

Looks to me like the $240 one is ceramic. Maybe it won't get blazing hot and burn your table down like a cast iron one? Or maybe the difference is more along the same line as what's a KK do that a BGE won't? It's a difference we all appreciate, but sometimes it's hard to convey to others.

Well, it doesn't look like ceramic. Like to see you staple that trim to ceramic and it looks porous. Probably more like refractory panels, which are light weight. The forge I built uses something very similar looking (but thicker), plus I wrapped it with two layers of kaowool. You can touch the outside while it is over 2000 degrees F inside. I wasn't saying that grill isn't cool looking, just was curious to know more as the web site wasn't very much information. It does look small and light weight for portability.

And FYI, I have seen a habachi style grill used many times on a wooden table. There small design makes using on some form of table a necessity. But they do get hot as crap on the outside. But I bet that korin grill isn't cool to touch like our Komodo grills either. States something to that effect in the precautions on the web site.

Also, bet like Syzygies states, they specify binchotan charcoal for the carbon content. Doesn't look like there is much room for a charcoal grate. Normal charcoal with filler and/or lower carbon content will put itself out in the ash. Doesn't reach nearly as high temp. Dennis' charcoal would probably work, but depending on if there is a grill grate, might not be able to burn it all the way down. And his is easy to snap to size just knocking two together.

I too have purchased a Korin Konro for the same reasons as kad1979. Web site not very informative so a bit of a gamble I suppose. I also have a natural gas grill along with my Komodo and plan on using all three at the same time when entertaining. Appetizers with the little grill at the bar while the pork shoulder is finishing on my KK. corn on the cob,hot dogs, and such on the gas grill. Hope Dennis chimes in on the charcoal questions I'm sure my CoCo charcoal will work fine.

Just checked the shipping information. Mine will be here on Friday. Hopefully I will have time to bust it open, fire it up and post a proper review. I am thinking it will be pretty substantial considering the shipping wight is 38 lbs.

Thanks,

Keith

I love this forum because you just keep learning new things. I was not aware of this type of grill before so thanks for the education. Once you have it and have played with it a bit, please post your thoughts and pics in this area of our forum:

The Ceramic World Online & Other Relevant Links

I'm looking forward to your post. In the meantime, I found this link that might provide you with more information and a unique way to light your charcoal (scroll through all the pics at the end of the article):

http://www.japanesefoodreport.com/2010/ ... lling.html

8)

That Korin is the same grill that they use at Totoraku in Los Angeles - google it, one of the best restaurants in LA but its private. They set it on a wood board of some kind right in the middle of the table. Hot as heck and has those airflow adjusters that slide open.

Got my Korin the other day, nice little grill very thick ceramic walls kept the outside somewhat cool (could touch it but not for long). Could really use a Dennis make over. Not exactly up to KK standards. Used white binchotan charcoal. Started it in a pot on a gas grill but grew impatient and added a propane torch to the process. It was like lighting fire crackers! Once it got going it was very hot and long lasting but I think CoCo charcoal will work well too. I got the medium sized grill which is nice for appetizer size skewers of grilled items.

Crap, now I am wanting one...hehe. Maybe we can talk Dennis into making a small light one just for super hot grilling? How about round and sized so I can store it in my KK. I never use both at the same time, so could store in one while using the other. Even better, be able to fit it so the top holds on the main grate lip (metal tabs dropping below to frame holding round body). Being made with refractory material (like the KK) it would protect the sides and focus the heat. Two piece design like the fire box to give expansion space. Use one layer of kaowool for extra thermal protection (especially for the next option). An attractive stand alone outer sleeve as an accessory (teakwood?)? The right shape could also allow it to be used as a tandoor? Well there Dennis, already designed it for you, I will be waiting for one next week! :shock:

Re: KK & Korin Konro...VERDICT

Ok, so I have fired up the Korin Konro a few times...sorry for the delayed review.

I am very pleased with this little device thus far. I agree with many things that Picbsu has to say. The quality is not up there with a KK but gosh darn it it is a very nice little grill. For the price can it do something that a cheaper version can't? Unlike a Komodo Kamado the answer is no in my opinion. BUT, does it look good on the middle of my outdoor table, YES! And it does stay pretty darn cool considering the amount of heat it houses, yes. It is a fun little device that is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted something that I could sit in the middle of table while I have friends over and we could talk, drink and grill. Much like the Komodo Kamado there definitely is a learning curve with this grill.

On to the charcoal. The white binchotan charcoal is something really special. Would you ever use it in a Kamado, no! There would be no reason to. BUT it suits this grill perfectly. It is a real pain in the A** to start but once you get it lit (I started a couple of pieces of mesquite with my looftlighter and place it on top) you really start to see how good the stuff is. Super intense heat and it burns, and burns, and burns with no smoke. Putting it out is as easy and dropping in into a bucket of water and reusing next time. It is so dense that when you hit two pieces together it sounds like glass or metal chimes. Crazy! I also used some Sumi charcoal that is very similar to ECC. I actually prefer the ECC in this grill over the sumi.

I have attached some pics of the unboxing and the first cook I did on it. Sorry for the garbage Blackberry pics (yes I love my BB)

IMG-20130524-01664_zps92c5ad4d.jpg

IMG-20130524-01668_zps394ca2af.jpg

IMG-20130524-01670_zpsff27238b.jpg

IMG-20130525-01683_zps224a73b5.jpg

IMG-20130525-01686_zps3fbddf03.jpg

@kad1979 Sorry to drag up a very old thread, but i have been thinking of getting one of these Japanese grills. I love yukiniku and yakatori and i think one of these on top of a table while guests are over would be awesome.

How have you found this grill since you have had it? would you buy it again and how is it still going many years down the track.

Would love to hear an update on this.

Cheers mate.

@kad1979 Sorry to drag up a very old thread, but i have been thinking of getting one of these Japanese grills. I love yukiniku and yakatori and i think one of these on top of a table while guests are over would be awesome.

How have you found this grill since you have had it? would you buy it again and how is it still going many years down the track.

Would love to hear an update on this.

Cheers mate.

Didn't know this thread was out here. I've actually looked into and thought about buying one of these exact grills. I currently have a cheap ceramic Yakatori grill I bought through Camping World for $69 plus shipping. Me and Mrs skreef love using it in th summer. Makes BBQ a fun meal for everyone at the table. I have a couple different threads on here showing my cheap Yakatori in action.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, ckreef said:

Didn't know this thread was out here. I've actually looked into and thought about buying one of these exact grills. I currently have a cheap ceramic Yakatori grill I bought through Camping World for $69 plus shipping. Me and Mrs skreef love using it in th summer. Makes BBQ a fun meal for everyone at the table. I have a couple different threads on here showing my cheap Yakatori in action.

Yeah i was searching google and the KK forum came up :) Thought wow lets ask around in here.

How do you like your small unit? Do you think the medium unit of the Konro would be a good size? i think the large one would just be over kill.

4 hours ago, tony b said:

Was just thinking this afternoon that I might break mine out on Saturday to do some shrimp skewers before dinner. 

Awesome @tony b

Do you have a Konro grill or another brand? if the Konro, what do you think about it? It looks really nice from the pics i have seen. Just dont know anyone who has one.

Yeah i was searching google and the KK forum came up  Thought wow lets ask around in here.

How do you like your small unit? Do you think the medium unit of the Konro would be a good size? i think the large one would just be over kill.

I really like my small unit but it's only 2 chamber. Works for my 3 person family but not big enough if I invited another couple over for a fun grilling time.

The medium korona (sp..) was what I was looking at. 3 chambers at about 30" long. Easily do 6 people and you could squeeze in 8 people if you had to.

The large would definitely be overkill for my needs. This is sort of an intimate experience, everyone cooks their own food. Still takes a bit overseeing especially if the guest aren't regular grillers. Too many people who don't know what they're doing and you'll be supervising not enjoying the evening.