mguerra

Roasted Corn

I think I posted this before. There's a lot of ways to roast corn on the KK. I roast it up high in the dome, with the husk on and undisturbed. Some people say to soak it in water for a couple hours pre-cook but I don't. Some folks peel back the husk, slather on butter and other stuff, and reapply the husk. I don't. I just roast it up high for about an hour and a half or two hours at about 300 to 350. Then I take off the husk, cut the corn off the cob and put it in a bowl. I melt some butter in the micro and mix in garlic powder, paprika and fresh cracked pepper. Then pour that all over the corn and serve it up. It's not the only way to do corn, but it's a good way! Next time I may take the husk off at the finish point and then put the corn back on the grill for 15 minutes to get a little browned and smoked. The main thing I wanted to mention here was the simple butter mix. It is tasty.

• Like 1

Re: Roasted Corn

That's a long roast for corn, isn't it? Or maybe it isn't. Doesn't it get dry? I've not had success roasting corn, and perhaps not knowing how long to roast it is part of the reason! How do you hold the hot ears to cut the kernels off? I do like roasty corn.

That's a long roast for corn' date=' isn't it? Or maybe it isn't[/quote']

No, that's about right.

We like to slice the kernels into a bowl and dress it our way. We're control freaks with great, top-notch olive oil. Our guests, left to their own devices, might use butter.

Oh. of course, salt.

Sanny, I leave all the husk on when I roast it so that keeps it from drying out. It is HOT when you take off the husk and slice off the kernels!! I take one of those two pronged corn holders that you use for eating corn on the cob and jam it in the tip of the corn. Then I hold it vertically, by that little handle, in the bowl and slice down to remove the kernels.

I'm one of those peel the husks back, remove silks, slather herb butter on (tarragon is the best!), tie the husks back up with butcher's twine and onto the grill. Rotate a quarter turn every 20-30 minutes. Plan B is blood orange or Persian lime infused olive oil from Stonehouse.

If the corn isn't fresh, then I soak the ears in a mild saline for several hours and put onto the grill (husks on) and slather on the herbed butter afterwards.

Living in Iowa has some benefits - great sweet corn is one of them when it starts to come in mid-to-late summer. Local growers just set up stands in parking lots and sell ears picked that morning. These go straight onto the grill without any other preps - simple perfection! In season, I probably make corn at least 3-4 times a week.

You're making me homesick for the midwest. When finally in season I remember local farmers selling it out of their truck parked at the edge of their field right next to the county road. You're absolutely right, there isn't anything better than fresh-picked corn. Of course, back then mom was in charge and it all ended up in a pot of salted, boiling water. Even so, my mouth waters just thinking of it!

Since I got the pressure cooker I tried another method. I pressure cooked the ears with husks on for 18 minutes, removed the husks and silk and finished on the KK for about ten minutes. This gets it done fast, and you get a little roasty, smoky flavor on it. Again with the garlic, paprika, cracked pepper butter per post#1.

Not critical how you do it. I was cooking some brats and filets direct on the main grill. I just tossed the pressure cooked corn on there for a few minutes to get some smoky roasty action. Brats and filets, I call that turf and turf. You all know what I say about grilling. The fire temp, dome temp etc is not important. You just want a "good hot fire". You see that with your eyes, not a thermometer. What you DO use the thermometer for is to finish the meat to your exact preffered finish temp. As far as the corn, just getting it anywhere in the KK will do. Direct, indirect no matter. On the main grill or up higher so you don't burn it. You already cooked it in the pressure cooker, just get it in the vessel long enough to get some flavor on it.

• Like 1