feckman

Hello and Help!

Hi all,

Just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself...and shamelessly ask for a little help from the KK community. :)

I just received my new 23" Komodo Kamado after a frustrating month of delays, and by all outward appearances it was worth the wait.

That said, the backordered thermometer I was promised would be here Monday still hasn't arrived, and I am concerned about performing a burn-in without anything plugging the pre-drilled hole in the cover. I have been unable to reach Dennis for a number of days by phone or e-mail, and I have a houseful of guests coming this weekend and 24 lbs of Boston butt to smoke.

Does anyone have any thoughts about performing a burn-in and cooking on the grill without anything in the thermometer hole? I can't imagine it would, but I don't want to damage anything by heating it up that way.

And speaking of burn-in, I never received the "user manual" from Dennis that I keep reading about. If someone would e-mail that to me at jim AT drumart DOT com, I would be forever grateful.

Otherwise, I'll post a pic or two once I get it fully set up and cooking with gas...er...charcoal. ;)

Many thanks,

--Jim.

Re: Hello and Help!

Congratulation on your choice and welcome to the group....wonderfull grill...Dennis has a nice and excellent thermometer on it.That being said, you probably need to have a ballpark idea of the temp for the break in.

An temporary thermometer would do.

My break in was under temp the first time and over temp the second time.In retrospect, not a big deal.

The effect is more psychological because of the big expense one goes through.

If you cant wait,go at it slowly.The key is to keep it around 600 for a few hours if my memory serves me well.I was too careful the first time and too impatient the second time.The unit is well made and the gaps in the grout easily fixable....No brainer.

As for the booklet, it is emailed by Dennis.

I dont know where mine is, I use Dennis as my booklet. :lol: or the forum.

Its summer, he may be on a family trip.

BTW I learned early to do major cosmetics as mine was hit by a huge branch during a waterspout landing.

Dennis walked me through it.

Get a cheap thermometer at HD and go for it.

enjoy your new toy.

You can actually cook low and slow without ever doing a break in.....I wouldnt hesitate to get an elcheapo and go for it....

I tried to send the manual but am having email issues right now....I will try from work....

Great, thanks so much! I'm really looking forward to getting started with it. I just heard back from Dennis who sent the manual and said he's overnighting the thermometer tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

As for cosmetics and protection, that raises another question: does anyone have a good source for a well-fitting cover for the KK? I almost hate to cover it up, but I know I should... :)

Thanks again.

Just saw on another post, Dennis renewed his vows with his bride very recently, so he's been somewhat distracted.

Any thermometer will do, even a remote one that can be purchased at most hardware stores that carry grills. The break in is roughly, 450 deg. for 2 hrs, then 500 for an hour, then 600 for an hour. I still have the instructions, as I'm sure others do, so if all else fails, let us know, you can get them easily.

Robert

The thermometer is a TruTel. Barbecue Galore has similar ones around. I bought one on line as a backup but have never used it. Even a Big Green Egg store may have one similar. Any will work. Have no regrets. Dennis will take care of you for sure.