slu

Barbacoa de Borrego

Re: Barbacoa de Borrego

Where do you get banana leaves? Is it essential' date=' i.e., can you "fake it" with something else?[/quote']

Many Mexican and Asian markets have either fresh or frozen leaves. These are fresh. You could use parchment paper or foil in a pinch.

The results after 14 hours....

Peter: So how was it? It looks incredible!!

Susan, the meat came out great. We used it solely for tacos. It was moist and very flavorful. My one diviation from the recipe was to coat the meat heavily with the "mole." I did not pour the balance of the mole over the meat prior to wrapping as the recipe indicated. Next time I may try that as well. Since I have mole left over, I am going to marinate a chicken, and roast it indirectly in the KK. I think the flavors will mesh well.

I know it doesn't appear so from the pix but did you put your banana package in a foil covered pan? Did you cook it at 325 in the KK the whole time?

Your post prompted me to attempt a mini version of a longish leg of lamb cook. I have a 5 lb bone in leg of lamb in the frig now in a Greek style marinade. My plan is to roast it tomorrow, 425 uncovered in the kitchen oven for an hour (30 min per side) and then move it to the KK at 325 for 1.5 hours tightly covered, 1 hour loosely covered, and 1 more hour uncovered. I'll toss some peach or plum smoke wood in when it is uncovered. After this, I'm expecting it to have a roasty crust and to pull. I'm also planning to do some potatoes, swiss chard and raisins in the same pan in the latter stages of the cook. If it turns out any good, I'll post.

Thanks for the inspiration!!!!

Susan

I did not wrap it in the foil. I was shooting for any flavor that might be derived from the smoke penetrating through the banana leaves. Also I cooked it for slightly over 14 hours at 250.