Michael

Heat/Ash Shield -- which way is up?

First Post!!

Just took delivery of my new KK and moved it in position this morning. (I'll post pics once its all set up). Had taken everything out to make it light for the lift and move -- but now a little confused on fitting 2 pieces back in.

Specifically the heat/ash shields for the front and side doors. I remember them being in place with the lip up. But in that position it looks like they would actually funnel ash through the door. So I'm guessing it is actually supposed to be lip side down -- though it will take some finagling to install that way since one of the shields catches on the firebox.

Anyone know the proper orientation?

Thanks

Michael

Re: Heat/Ash Shield -- which way is up?

Figured it out. Being dense is a great thing to be for an introductory post in a forum. :)

In case anyone in the future is wondering about the shields they go

* lip up

* oriented so they slope the ash back into the middle of the grill (the curved edge of the lip should push in to the curved edge of the grill)

When I had the first thing right I had the second backwards...which made me think that the first wasn't right!!

Anyways...Good to meet everyone. Off to finish the setup!

Michael

• Like 2

Glad you asked your silly question ;) . Like you I just received my KK and had no clue where the ash deflector actually went on the KK. After a weekend of use I was wondering why so much ash was on the patio under the front vent...d'oh :roll:

You just explained it...thanks! :)

• Like 2

Don't sweat it, guys! We've all been there one way or another. :scratch:

That's why this forum exists; to ask all those seemingly silly questions and to get answers without being made to feel stupid or embarrassed. All we ask is that you help out the next guy, even if it's just to say, "I've done that, too." or "Yeah, I had to ask that too, when I first got my KK."

• Like 2

Yeah, I had the same question new. I tried all four ways, and decided which way I wanted it.

This approach has interesting unintended consequences. Do KKs still ship with that pair of funny metal grabber things? Many of us concluded that they were for grabbing and lifting the main grill when hot. Apparently not, but they work great for that purpose. And I can't recall for the life of me what they're actually intended for.

I think they were for something to do with the roti.

Can somebody post a picture of how the ash screen should go? I've never used mine because I couldn't figure out how to put it on. But I pull out my door a lot to get the grill to heat up fast and each time I do, a little pile of charcoal or ash falls out. It isn't hot or anything but its hard to clean off my brick patio. I was just thinking a week ago they I should find that ash screen and put it in and here are posts about it!!

First photo on the linked post below...the ash deflector just needs to be pushed in all the way so the "lip" is up against the wall of the KK.

http://komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic ... een#p46257

Interesting - that's what used to be called the heat shield. Dennis sent me one because my wooden knobs were crumbling from my higher temp cooking and it solved the problem. I guess that's now a combo item -heat shield and ash deflector? I got the ash screen with my older model KK and wasn't able to figure out how to use it. Does anybody with an older model KK use the ash screen with the heat shield?

Just got my first KK two days ago. Hell of a Christmas present. Not sure how to install my ash shield. If I am reading the above right, lip (or curved side) faces up and faces the curved side of the KK. Correct?

Also, any preferred method of lighting the coals? My wife got me a bunch of coconut charcoal and the hope is to do a slow cook brisket on New Year's. I have coffee wood that Dennis included. Thanks kindly.

First off, Welcome to the Club! Is the KK your first ceramic grill/smoker? What size and color is it?

Yes, I believe that is the correct orientation. I have the older ash screen. Also, the link to the photo doesn't work anymore - arg!

You will find that the extruded coconut charcoal from Dennis is more difficult to light than "regular" charcoal. Some folks use MAPP torches, weed guns, looflighters, etc., to light it directly. I mix it with regular lump charcoal in the basket and use a chimney starter with some lump in it to kick start the process. Good use for the really small pieces of lump in the bottom of the bag.

Number One rule of ceramic BBQ grills/smokers - NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use petroleum based lighter fluids to start your fire. It will permeate the ceramic walls and you'll never get rid of that smell!

Never tried the coffee wood, but I bet it's terrific for beef brisket!

The rules of the Forum are that you have to post pictures of your first (virgin) cook. No pictures, it didn't happen!

• Haha 1