hardhatdvr

Inaugural cook experience questions

Hi all. I just bought the 23 inch OTB and after curing at high temp , I roasted chicken for my inaugural cook. I had a tough time maintaining temp at 375 degrees. I ultimately got and kept it at 400 but only after totally closing both the lower and upper vents entirely. This gave the chicken a smoky flavor that i hadn't intended for this recipe. I also noticed that smoke was seeping out between the dome and base and it discolored the stainless plate on the latch. I used a combination of coco char and cowboy lump. Perhaps i was using too much coal as I started with a full basket?

Any tips or hints would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan

Re: Inaugural cook experience questions

I go with Robert's postulation, you didn't actually have the dome fully latched, so you were leaking air, which threw off your temperatures. When you shut the dome, make sure that the latch goes all the way down (you'll feel the second latch point).

BTW - the only difference between a chicken cooked at 375F and one at 400F is the cooking time. The end results will be exactly the same. You will find with experience, that cooking on the KK is very forgiving when it comes to temperatures, so don't fret if you're off by 25F - 50F (up or down), just adjust your cooking time accordingly. Most of the time, we're cooking to an end temperature of the meat anyway, so time is only an approximation for planning purposes. And, if it's done early, you can usually hold most things for at least a couple of hours if you wrap in foil, then in a blanket or beach towel and put into a cooler.

Thanks to all for your replies. In fact, i didn't have the latch fully closed. i also think i left the electric starter in too long and lit too much charcoal initially. i next cooked a pork butt with the latch fully closed and had a much better experience. Thanks again!

Ok, I will be embarrassing myself here, but better embarrassed than to burn things to a crisp the first time. How do you know how much charcoal to light for say half a dozen hamburgers and a couple of steaks? DO you just put a chimney full on top of the full basket?

I plan to do my burn in to high temp for the first use of my grill. So should I light it just like I was starting to cook those hamburgers and steaks and then open up the dampers to bring it on up to higher temps when the time comes?

Yes I know I am an idiot when it comes to my new grill!

Gloria

You should always start with a full basket. When you are done close all the air flow gauges and the fire will snuff out and extra coals can be reused on next cook. Just keep adding more coals after each cook. As for how to light, pretty much light the middle of the basket.. What you want to remember is the temp you want to cook at.. High temps, open it up..low temps, turn gauges down. Based on air flow you choose, the temps will burn and use only the amount of coal as is necessary... Light the same way each time, only adjust airflow for temps you want. It is easy and you will learn quickly.