GloriaL

Heat Deflector

I am a newbie trying to set up my new Big Bad 32" cobalt blue KK. I have read a few things in the forum that mention the "ash deflector." I am not sure what that is. I don't want to start my grill if it needs the ash deflector, but also don't want to be stupid and put stuff where it doesn't go. Along with my grill I received these stones, smooth on one side and rough on the other:

n68802

I also have a pizza stone. I am not sure what the other stone are for. I thought they were deflectors, but there were so many I wasn't sure, then the ash deflector thing came up and ....... help?! I also got a half main grill, can anybody help me on that one? Thanks in advance! BTW is there a supplement to the manual for the 32" grill?

Re: Ash Deflector

The heat deflector is for cooking with indirect heat. It basically turns your KK in to a giant charcoal oven. You roast and bake with it, you do low and slow briskets and pork shoulders with it. If you roast a chicken, I would do that direct. Done indirect, your chicken will be done, but the texture is a little weird. You can do a lot more than just grill with your KK, be sure to do so! You can grill on a $30.00 Wal-Mart metal unit...

Re: Ash Deflector

I'll add on a little tip to what Doc said that I've learned about cooking chicken directly in the KK. In order to avoid any flare ups charring your chicken if you use the main grill, is to put the chicken on the upper grill, especially if you use any kind of oil-based marinade/injection (I'm partial to Cornell Chicken marinade or herbed butter under the skin). Just moves it that much further from the fire; but being higher in the dome, you gain a little extra radiant heat from the walls being closer to the food that compensates for being further from the direct heat source. Still get a nice crispy skin, but without burning it from flare-ups.

Welcome and Enjoy the Ride - it's amazing and lots of fun!!

Re: Ash Deflector Multiple standard heat deflectors for the 32" BB Standard heat deflector.. Lets hot air raise uniformly around the outside of the grill (A bit too far forward in this shot)

n67534 n67535

Big cook heat deflector.. Lets hot air up only far left and right.. making a huge indirect area. You can pile meat front to back and really fill'er up... n67536 n67537

The half grill can be used above the lower for a higher shelf while grilling on the lower..

post-6370-139082406059_thumb.jpeg

post-6370-139082406062_thumb.jpeg

post-6370-139082406066_thumb.jpeg

post-6370-13908240607_thumb.jpeg

With the fire so far from the upper grills, I am wondering if the indirect plates are really used/necessary?   The  XL BGE has the fire very close to the foods and their heat deflectors are necessary.  I would appreciate any comments.  I am still in the transition from the Egg to the KK.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, CLeeThom said:

With the fire so far from the upper grills, I am wondering if the indirect plates are really used/necessary?   The  XL BGE has the fire very close to the foods and their heat deflectors are necessary.  I would appreciate any comments.  I am still in the transition from the Egg to the KK.

Thanks.

From everything I have heard (from long time users and Dennis himself) is that the heat deflectors are included mostly because people coming from BGE/Kamado Joe expect them/are used to them and it is easier to include them and saves time from everyone asking if they need them/where they can get them. Dennis himself has said multiple times he doesn't use them and they aren't needed in a KK because of how the KK is designed. They are just a nice bonus that comes with the KK.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.