normstar

PRIME RIB

Hi All, I've got a 10lb 4-bone prime export rib that I'll be cooking tomorrow on the KK and am trying to decide which technique to use. Here's what I've thought of so far, please let me know if any of you have done a prime rib or have suggestions. Thanks! 1) Low and slow Indirect at about 275 until just about done, then give it a quick sear on the Sear Grill. 2) Sear it first on the lower grill for about 5 mins per side while attempting to keep the fire from erring away from me, then throw in the eat deflector and roast at 350 until done. 3) Low and slow indirect at about 275 until about 5-10 degrees away from finish temp, and then crank up the KK to about 450 to give it a nice crust. 4) Just cook it about 350-375 the whole time until done. This is what I did the last time, I wanted to do the traditional prime rib technique: 450 degrees for 20 minutes, then 350 until done, but I could not get the temp down after the 425 and ended up cooking around 375-400 the whole time. It was excellent! I am clearly over analyzing this, but don't we all? Otherwise we wouldn't have the best grill in the universe!

I start hot--400-450, all indirect to protect the meat--so that the fat side (always on the top) begins to melt and the meat and bones on the underside begin to brown nicely. After a minimum of about 20 minutes (if the meat was at room temperature) I reduce as low (170-225) as you can go (providing you have enough time) and let it slow roast---the longer the more uniform and tender the meat will be. You can also just lower to 325 degrees, as many recipes suggest, but this will give you a well done circumference and medium rare inside, rather than a seared exterior and perfect uniformity throughout.

I start hot--400-450' date=' all indirect to protect the meat--so that the fat side (always on the top) begins to melt and the meat and bones on the underside begin to brown nicely. After a minimum of about 20 minutes (if the meat was at room temperature) I reduce as low (170-225) as you can go (providing you have enough time) and let it slow roast---the longer the more uniform and tender the meat will be. You can also just lower to 325 degrees, as many recipes suggest, but this will give you a well done circumference and medium rare inside, rather than a seared exterior and perfect uniformity throughout.[/quote']

What internal meat temperature do you generally shoot for?

Also, I'm not following your technique. You're heating up the KK to 400+F, but not doing an initial sear, as you said it's all indirect, which implies a heat soak to get the KK that hot. So how are you getting the KK back down to the 200F range after the initial 20+ minute cook at high temp?? Do you just shut everything down and let it coast? How long does that take? I would think that the meat temperature would reach 135F (medium rare) before the KK cooled off to 200F. Asking because I've never done a cook this way before.

What internal meat temperature do you generally shoot for? Also' date=' I'm not following your technique. You're heating up the KK to 400+F, but not doing an initial sear, as you said it's all indirect, which implies a heat soak to get the KK that hot. So how are you getting the KK back down to the 200F range after the initial 20+ minute cook at high temp?? Do you just shut everything down and let it coast? How long does that take? I would think that the meat temperature would reach 135F (medium rare) before the KK cooled off to 200F. Asking because I've never done a cook this way before.[/quote'] Tony, you're correct, that is why I did not do the traditional prime rib technique that he mentions of 20 minutes at 450 then cook remainder at 325 (or 300, 275, etc). Once the KK is heat soaked at 450 you're not getting it below 400 for at least 30-45 minutes I would guess, and that is with choking the fire big time. What I did was heat soak at 325, then directly sear the meat for 3 minutes per side, then roast at 325 indirect on the main grate with the ceramic heat deflector on the charcoal basket. Unfortunately we ran out of time so I had to raise the heat to 400 to get it done on time. Then my ET-73 probe died and I had incorrect temps for a while so I pulled it later than I wanted to. I pulled it at 127 in the center, which is what my chef friend recommended. However, I have come to learn that we get a lot more "carryover cook" with the KK than you do with an oven or any other grill. So rather than raising to 132-135 while it rested, it raised a bit higher to medium+. Also interestingly, it was not uniform. Going from Left to Right, when I pulled it the temps were like 138 left, 127 center, and 132 right. I think this may have resulted from changing the fire level too many times, but I still don't thin that should have happened with the ceramic heat deflector installed?