rorkin

Creosote ?

I'm also a but skeptical of a v shaped damper surface.

Just to clarify, my thoughts were for a very tiny raised ridge, not necessarily a V. But the purpose was just to reduce some of the surface area contact with the gasket and same deal with the small metal ring idea. I do not see where that would damage a gasket. As far as condensation, hell the inside of my grill sweats already, so I am not worried about it dripping back in from the damper (would be nice to help keep the outside clean if it works..).

BTW, I agree with the grease buildup and high temp cooks as only my low and slow grill gets this buildup. But I have never had to hit it with a 2x4...hehe.

-=Jasen=-

I have played with using lava rock in a grill wok instead of solid deflector. The idea was to have something in between direct and indirect.

The grease is absolutely the problem, as both reported cases of this are doing primarily low and slow, and do not use a drip pan. I dont think the rock is as much a factor as the lack of high temp cooks to burn it out occasionally.

DJ has 2 grills, keeps one set up for low and slow, the other for higher temps...guess which one has the buildup and glues itself shut? He says there is no issue on the one that gets higher temps, and he doesnt use any drip pan under his butts either.

fix

Unfortunately, there is no way I can burn the grease/ tar out of the top gasket. It's totally embedded and infiltrated in the weave. So I'll replace it after cleaning the top of the cooker thoroughly. Then I'll start cooking with the top a little wider open, clean the heat deflector after each cook, and do a few hotter cooks now and then. That will probably get it.

replace

Yes, I'll just do the R and R, start with a nice fresh clean gasket. I'll have to rig a way to keep all the cleaning chemicals from running down the inside of the cooker. From cleaning the top damper surface I have found that a paint scraper removes almost all of the build up. But to secure the new gasket I want the mounting surface spotless clean ceramic. Probably after I remove the gasket, I will scrape first, torch a little, and then finish off with a chemical cleaner like Easy Off or similar. But I need to plug that opening to keep the chemicals out of the cooker.