cruzmisl

Advice for an electric smoker

Hi All.

A friend of mine is looking to get into smoking. He's poor and not a very savvy cook so he needs something basically idiot proof. I was looking at the Bradley Digital. Any opinions or something better? Need a set it and forget it system. Only issue with the Bradley is the proprietary wood pucks.

Thanks!

Joe

I owned two Cookshack smokers, similar to the linked smokers rwalters pointed to. Although not necessarily inexpensive they can be found with shipping deals for ~$400 USD. Plus it served as a back-up slow-oven/warming/keeping oven at party and/or holiday time so its use extended past smoking only.

It probably boils down to how much smoking your friend is going to do. If just once in a while you can follow Alton Brown's relatively simple and inexpensive clay flower pot and electric plate burner patio smoker...gets the job done.

I have had a Bradley Smoker for the last 12 years which I primarily use for smoking fish. My personal opinion is, the Bradley has pretty poor build quality, it is quite flimsy. If I was buying now I would go with something like the Masterbuilt electric smoker with window sold at SamsClub for $300 or the Smoky Mountain smoker (online only) for the same price.