Firemonkey

Which stoker blower?

I did get StokerConsole up and running, it's much nicer than what I put together but only runs locally. There doesn't seem to be a great solution for what I want, monitor the Stoker from my web server and access it on my phone/tablet/laptop/TV at will - StokerWebConsole is a step towards that but since it's still an applet the phone/tablet aspect won't work. I've also started playing with Pit Pal which seems to work well on my tablet, this may be a better solution for me since it's more portable.

Devolving? I've always been a natural draft proponent

Yeah, my ancient BBQ Guru finally failed, so we've been going jungle too.

I'm leaning BBQ Guru again, as much as anything so I can standardize the yard (deck LED lights, etc) on 12 volts. I'm sure the 5 volt Stoker would manage just fine on a 6 volt battery, but I don't want the multistandard hassle.

So good to know 10 cfm is a nice choice. However, my main concern is freeing myself to go off for hours of errands while holding the fire at 400 F to 450 F to heat soak for bread. Saying 10 cfm is plenty for 225 F is far from the same thing. Stoker probes are rated to 450 F, BBQ Guru probes to 475 F, so worrying about cfm at the hot end of the range is a reasonable question.

Does anyone have direct experience maintaining a fire at 450 F with a 10 cfm fan, either brand?

In one of my first cooks with the stoker I set it at 400 and it did fine. Just had to crack the top hat a bit more (like 1/4 turn) to allow the blower to push more freely.

I was more worried about the probe wires on my new toy than the inability to control the fire. I had them wrapped in foil, but if I was playing that close to the boundary, I would probably get some high temp sheathing for the probe wires. I recall reading somewhere that john (stoker) said the probe and thermocouple were rated higher, but it's the silicone wires that are the weak point. If so, silicone is 500 typically, so maybe he is adding some margin at 450?

Alternatively, stoker will accept a k type thermocouple if you want to that piece of mind.

I've had an "incident" where I had runaway temps with a pit probe installed (I can't remember the details, I don't think the lid latched properly, it was windy, and the top damper was open too much combining to add a lot more O2 than what the Stoker was pushing in). The wire insulation was badly burned but the probe still worked fine. Also note that replacing a probe should be feasible, it's the electronics in the plug that make a Stoker probe unique, splicing a standard probe onto that connector will work just fine. Rock will also sell just the pigtails without the probe if you need that - I bought one to hook it up to a relay for a proofing box. Instead of the Stoker turning on a fan, it turned on a heating element.

Yeah, my ancient BBQ Guru finally failed, so we've been going jungle too....Does anyone have direct experience maintaining a fire at 450 F with a 10 cfm fan, either brand?

I've done 425 for a couple of hours with a 5 cm Stoker fan without any problems except I went through a LOT of charcoal. I did need to open the top vent another turn.  

Alternatively, stoker will accept a k type thermocouple if you want to that piece of mind.

Very interesting information, Firemonkey. I contacted Rock's BBQ to find out if the Type K thermocouples would also work with the older model Stokers and he said they would as long as the Stoker was not running the .5 firmware. This was shipped with the Stokers from May 2006 to February 2007. This is not an inexpensive mod,however, since I think I would have to buy the $40 type K adapter from Rock for each probe. But I did find lots of probes that go to 750 deg that are not expensive and even some that measure up to 2000 deg!! 

I've fried a lot of probes in the four plus years I've had the Stoker, mostly dropping them inside the KK while trying to maneuver them with heavy gloves. Now I load the grill at low temps, like 200 deg so I don't need gloves regardless of what temp I will be cooking at, and haven't dropped a probe since. One Thanksgiving I lost three probes all at once when I pushed them to the outside of the KK while they were still threaded thru the port and, while my back was turned, the tension on the wires pulled them all back into the grill.  It was the horrible smell that caused me to turn around in horror! Also, I've melted the coating on the wires where the heat from the deflector comes up around the edges of the KK. But these probes continue to work despite the disfigurement. So I would be very interested in a sheathing that would offer a little more protection since I often cook in the 450 to 475 range, which could easily creep up to 500+.  

I just bought a probe from Omega Engineering.  http://www.omega.com/pptst/XCIB.html

It has a braided covering that is sturdier than the braided fiberglass one I had before.  It's rated to 1800 degrees.  If you'd like more info, PM me--I don't want to bore anyone!

The stainless armored meat probe I got from Thermoworks is rated to over 600 degrees.

So I would be very interested in a sheathing that would offer a little more protection since I often cook in the 450 to 475 range, which could easily creep up to 500+.  

After rereading my post I don't want to leave the impression that the Stoker causes the temp to rise. But the temp can rise while using the Stoker from things like leaving the lid open too long during a cook or starting too hot a fire before hooking the Stoker up so the Stoker needs to wait for the temps to come down. All the problems I had with Stoker probes were all my fault and I've learned alot from those mistakes.  

I just bought a probe from Omega Engineering.  http://www.omega.com/pptst/XCIB.html

It has a braided covering that is sturdier than the braided fiberglass one I had before.  It's rated to 1800 degrees.  If you'd like more info, PM me--I don't want to bore anyone!

The stainless armored meat probe I got from Thermoworks is rated to over 600 degrees.

PM sent.

Going back to szyzgies dilemma of using a fan assist to heat to 450 for a long time... In that case it's just fire/fan control. He could just map a standard meat probe thinner than pit probe) to the blower, and insert it through the tru-tel port. No need to even have the probe wires in the grill if just heat soaking an empty grill for a few hours.

I just recently received a BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi unit controlling a Pit Viper 10 CFM fan. I'm using it on The Beast, a KK BB 32. I light my fire and let it get well established. I put the Fan in its port, get everything hooked up and dialed in on temps, close my top vent until I just feel the gasket grab, and walk away. The unit comes up to temp, the cook goes on and I monitor from my home office desktop. Easy peasy and worth every penny!

Howdy all... Reviving an older thread here as it is one I found using the search box, if there is a newer one.. please carry this forward.
So.. I am curious if anyone is still using their stokers, if so which one and why? 
After my recent experience using the roti etc... I did some preliminary research and found this article comparing the BBQ Guru product with a company called Flame Boss.

https://www.firecraft.com/article/bbq-guru-vs-flame-boss

Technology moves on....
Thoughts?
--
Rick

The latest models of both wi fi models use a cloud based interface now, making set up a breeze. I have an older, non cloud cyberq, and it just works. I believe the only difference between the cyberq units is the interface, but everything else is the same.

I’ve heard great things about the flame boss, but I have also heard a few mentions of probe failure, but nothing serious.

Over the holiday, I read complaints from both sides of issues not being able t connect to their respective clouds, I think it was blamed on the busy holiday. I know the cyberq has a function to operate on its own, I’m guessing the fb has the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk