Firemonkey

Which stoker blower?

I've asked this before, long ago, but I am asking again since there is probably a bunch more collective stoker experience on the forum now. Which blower do you stoker owners have, are you happy with it, and which would you recommend (5 or 10 cfm)? 5 might be a gentler and more accurate temp control, but the stoker recommendation on their website is for the 10 cfm.

I too have the 5cfm fan for my stoker. Once up to temp the fan barely runs. I think the bigger fan may help get you up to temp quicker but think you'll be fine with the smaller fan. By waiting you now get the built in wireless :)

Maybe if I wait longer, they will encapsulate the electronics and make everything waterproof too :D

Firemonkey

I have had the stoker for several years. Customer service has been great.

I had an AC adapter go out, they send one out right away. No charge.

The fan is 10 cfm. That's the one they recommended. Works great. It just puffs once up to temp.

I should have ordered 6 ft. probes. They would have been more flexible as to placement of the unit.

It's great on long cooks. 

A little late to this party but wanted to throw in my .02, I have the 5 CFM on my 23" and it definetly does a great job. However, I don't use her to bring my cooker up to temp. I really prefer to let her come to temp naturally the old fashion way.

Also, while I'm a huge fanboy for Stoker I really don't use it that much on my KK. Only cooks I use it on any more are overnight butt cooks. I love being able to let her run unattended over night, view my graphs in the morning etc. On my shorter cooks ribs, high heat briskets etc. I find once I get my KK dialed in, she just sits at that temp for hours without me touching her.

I also want to try this with an overnight cook, maybe use Stoker as my back-up; get her dialed in at 250 for an overnight cook, set Stoker to 225 just incase she doesn't maintain 250 on her own over night. This would also allow me to view the graph and see about when she dipped (if she does).

Not discouraging anyone from buying a Stoker, highly recommend and I've had mine for at least 4 or 5 years, just find it interesting how my usage has evolved.

I'm evolving the other way... What's that? Devolving? I've always been a natural draft proponent, and as you have found, the KK is more than stable if you know how to drive it.

I am having fun with the stoker, though. I've used it several times, and it's been interesting to see the differences in the some thermometer and te grate temp on the stoker. Things are definitely cooking differently at 250 on the stoker vs 250 on the tel-tru (which would be like 225 on the grate).

I went with the 10 cfm blower, and it still takes a good while to come up to temp. I think it's because I only have a slight crack open in the top, which doesn't allow the blower to push any more than the opening can allow. I should try opening the top more but, man, that blower would RAGE the fire if allowed to!

One thing I've found, stoker log crashes after several hours every time I use it. Kinda worthless. I've been using BBQ monitor on my phone or iPad instead. Even that only has a few mins of background time, so it's less than ideal, but nice to check in while out at the store or something.

@firemonkey

When I use Stoker to bring KK up to temp I typically open the top hat about 1 full revolution. With the 10 CFM fan I'd try 1/2.

Interesting that Stokerlog is crashing on you, she's solid as a rock for me. You might want to visit The Virtual Weber Bullet form and post on their ATC forum. Lots of info over there and Amir used to poke his head in and answer question others couldn't.

Stoker is pretty cool isn't it. Now you've got me Jonesing for an overnight cook LOL! Have fun!

Yeah, I've done some digging, and as far a las I can tell, it's failing after a wifi hiccup. It's a Ctrl-alt-del kill when I come back and find it hung. Stoker log just needs better error isolation and recovery. But, you get what you pay for right?

I'm also bummed the tweet function is completely dead right now.

Are you using it wired or on wifi?

I use the Stoker wired and have never been able to get through an entire cook without the Stoker Log program crashing at some point. So I just use the Stoker's own program which is very simple and effective for me. I do miss a little bit not being able to see the fan coming on but wouldn't be graphing the cooks anyway so its not worth the hassle of a non tech person such as myself trying to figure it out. I still am very happy to have it.