Firemonkey

Help from Stoker owners

Well, my Stoker Wifi arrived today, and on the hardware side the thing is a quality device.  Its built like a tank.

However, it only took me about 30 minutes to determine that the software might be a POS.  In doing the initial setup of the network and wifi, everything went smoothly until I tried to set the Stoker to something other than 80 as the HTTP port.  The stoker has a menu item to set any port you want, but mine is not respecting that setting at all.  I set the port to 8080 for example, and the Stoker still only responds to requests on the default port (80). 

Can anyone with a stoker wifi confirm this feature is broken?  All you need to do is change your HTTP port on your stoker (83 for example) and then try to open the stoker page on that port (http://stoker address:83).  If it works, the page will come up.  If not, try it normally (leave off the :83 at the end) and see if it comes up. 

Can't answer question, as I had my work IT people come set up.

!!! Was this bossly influence, and/or did you bribe them with ribs?

My BBQ Guru finally died, and I'm on the fence whether to go BBQGuru again, or Stoker. Anyone know both well, first-hand, with a strong opinion?

The 5 volts is nearly a deal-breaker, though it would help if the Stoker recovers with all settings intact after a middle-of-the-night power outage. Or, if it will accept 6 volts as a proxy for 5 volts. I like to run off a battery, as California power is flaky in the summer.

So I went and got a couple of containers to make a watertight enclosure for my stoker, and an inverted container to mount as a rain shroud over the blower. I was all set... Or so I thought...

I went to plug the stoker into the "wet location - in use" outlet that I installed next to my grill for this very purpose, and had to stop and ask myself WTF? The transformer brick John supplies is sideways oriented?! There is absolutely no way this thing would be able to be plugged into an outdoor outlet. Is it just me, or is expecting to be able to plug your charcoal grill temperature controller into a standard covered outdoor outlet too much to expect?!

Back to the store for a much bigger box, so now I can keep the power cord and brick inside the container and use an extension cord.

y6yzyvez.jpg

It's not a perfect solution, but I have a bunch of these for situations like this. There really is no good solution for power bricks, sideways works on half my power strips, vertical the other half. Ones that move up perpendicular from the plug work well, but not if I care about clearance. I really want a DC infrastructure solution so we can just avoid them entirely, but that means rewiring every house out there.