Outdoor Kitchen

Ok guys, I'm building a new house, and obviously, an outdoor kitchen. I already plan on the usual suspects, kk, bge, dual gas burner for boiling/frying, fridge, sink, but does anyone have a gotta have item, or maybe a don't bother item, or any tips or suggestions? My patio is 16'x22', I'm planning on using one 16' side for the actual kitchen. I would love any help!

Depending upon what you expect to cook over "side burners" I'd look for something at least 30k btu...especially if you get even a modicum of wind across your bbq island area.  Most are rated 12k-18k which is basically what pro-sumer type indoor burners are rated...

And lots of counter space.

One thing I miss is my Big Kahuna monster burner - it's very versatile and 65kBTU. I would imagine that building the burner into a more permanent-looking housing wouldn't be a hard task for most.

My patio also had a large built-in firepit at the far end. Adding a little embedded tubing into the ground to allow you to pop up a little spit or put a grate over it could net you a nice multi-purpose wood-burning cooking area but even without that thing had seen a lot of marshmallows in its short lifespan.

Devil's in the details, Robert. Make sure your builder/designer has experience in outdoor kitchens, lots of unique considerations from an indoor one. For example, if your outdoor kitchen is 100% open air, i.e., no overhead covering, then things like standing water on the countertops becomes an issue. So, the design needs to consider those things - slope the countertops towards the sink, extra corner drains, material selection, etc.

If your outdoor kitchen isn't close to the indoor plumbing for tie-ins, consider an on-demand gas hot water heater, since you are running gas for your burners anyway. You won't have lots of waiting for the hot water to arrive (wasting a lot of water) and by using an on-demand, you won't be wasting a lot of gas heating a big tank of water that sits 95% of the time on "stand-by."

If your patio/kitchen isn't convenient to the indoor kitchen, would a dishwasher make sense? You could keep a separate outdoor set of dishes/silverware/glasses and not have to schlep all your indoor stuff back and forth. Depends on how frequently you plan to use the outdoor kitchen. Once a week, maybe not that big of a deal, but if you're going to be using it 3 or 4 times a week, then maybe it would be more convenient.

Good luck! Remember, "How do you know when your contractor is lying to you? His lips are moving!"

More Counter height electrical outlets than you think you will need plus a few at baseboard level, all GFCI, of course. Don't forget at least one by the KK, use it for charcoal lighting, regular lighting, rotisserie motor etc.

If it is covered, then spot lighting to illuminate your work areas and two for the KK, one to showcase it (controlled from in the house, on a dimmer for mood lighting) and the other to shine into the KK when the lid is open.

Bruce

• Like 1

Electrics brings up another useful feature - network connectivity. You may want to run an Ethernet cable from out of the house to someplace weather resistant and put a WiFi hotspot and little switch out there. Depending on where your KK will sit, having a counter with a drawer next to it with a way to get the cables out could be useful if you ever plan on getting a Guru/Stoker/CyberQ. Worse case, you can also look into underground conduit to the KK location so you can run your own 1/4" extensions. Of course, you can also look into cable if that's how you get your TV service, one of those big inflatable projection screens out on the patio could make an excellent evening.

• Like 1

I chose to install the Fire Magic Power Burner for my outdoor kitchen instead of the Lynx Dual burners even though I installed a Lynx Grill and the KK. It's been the perfect choice for me.

Fire Magic 19S0B1N0 - 19" Built-in Power Burner with 60,000 BTU, Cast Brass Burner, Stainless Steel Grid and Electronic Ignition: Natural Gas
  • Like 1

Okay, Outdoor Kitchen. This is long....sorry. In reference to my story, i have put two pictures which i think are at the bottom of this long text;

Backyard Kitchen Notes

Okay, so Robert (5698k), is asking outdoor kitchen advice. You may have seen my kitchen, which I love by the way, and I have been wanting to write something but have not had the time til now. By no way am I an expert...no way...however, I will just express some of the things I thought of and how it all worked out.

It was custom built. I did Nothing to build it. With my wife's organization, approval, and desire to help, she customized all the colors and accessories after it was done...I chose the Hand and Face Smoking a Cigar though..... LOL.

It took about 6 weeks to complete.

The granite choice. We probably did overkill on the granite, as we added it on all the vertical walls, not just counter top. To save on cost, don't do the walls. However, it does make it look very nice. I am glad I did it.

Location of the Kitchen: as you see, the out counter is on the edge of the Patio. It is exposed to rain. I realized this, however I did not check how level the counter was when they were building it. At this end, it is basically neutral...water falls on it, but most of it stays on the counter. It doesn't drain at all...it doesn't come in to patio either, but it doesn't doesn't go out to yard. In hindsight, be sure all areas are level to how you desire.

Originally, i was going to do only the right side...have it on the wall of the patio only....with KK free standing where it is now.....then i thought, heck, that covers up most of the section to right, lets put storage on left of KK.... then I thought, what about my EVO grill....i need more space for that, so the counter came back toward the house where you see the EVO Grill now....then i quit......where was this simple thing going to end......???

Other LEVEL issue. If you note the large circular grill, EVO Grill by Evolution American Grills, i had a problem here but we caught it in time. It is very , very important to have this grill level, so that when it drips grease and liquid during the cook, it will drip out all around the surface. Originally, it was going to drip to the right side....they had laid the lower granite already, but we figured this out. They pulled it up, leveled, and reset the granite. It turned out good.

If you cut out sections to insert grills or other items, be sure the measurements are precise to your desire. The EVO grill, i could have used another inch or two across to give it just a bit more room. By the way, this EVO grill is a Table Top grill. They do have permanently installed grills. I wanted to be able to have the grill, but be able to take it places...which has been great. I have cooked many times at company parties and lunches. Glad it is moveable, but it looks mostly "installed".

Smoke Exhaust and Pollution:

So if you have a grill (which of course you do), consider the amount of smoke you will have when you cook. Inside a patio, you can get a lot of smoke quick. I had always had the KK at the edge of patio at grass/cement edge, and smoke mostly went outward toward the yard. Steaks and High temp cooks generate more smoke. It would seem the counters change the dynamics of airflow a bit, so it seems now i get more smoke inside my patio on high temp cooks. The low and slow and 350 ish cooks is not bad at all.

Consider this when designing. Put grills outward to yard, or consider Fans....more like restaurant style fans to be affective. I did not do fans...

However, i did go buy a round 18 inch fan and put on the counter during hot cooks. Turn it on and it helps greatly with pushing smoke out to yard. Without fan, i have ended up with a "fog ceiling" of smoke in patio.

Gas Grill / Infrared Grill by FireMagic:

I considered whether or not to have a small gas grill, mostly for Searing or doing a quick hotdog or burger. I thought about this a lot. Consider, I do have the EVO Grill, and I can sear on that as well. I decided to install the Infrared Grill. They had 1 burner, and / or 2 burners. For the smaller incremental price increase, i went with the 2 burner. I am very glad for 2 burners and extra space. I have seared tritip and prime rib roasts on this. I have done hotdogs, chicken (it was dry), and small steaks....flat iron and flank steaks on it. It works great, and it is hooked to natural gas so i never run out of fuel. The burner is not HIGH ONLY. i was worried I would have to cook everything on this at a high temp. The burners are variable and i can choose any heat that i want. on HIGH, it is very hot !!

I did NOT put in a stove. I had hoped to use this Gas Grill as a stove top. I have gotten a pot with water and put on Grill, turn up high, and see if it would boil. It got very hot, but i ran out of patience for a boil. It can be used for keeping things warm to hot, but to cook on it like a stove, not really.

Stove or no Stove: speaking of Stoves, i chose to not install a stove. All my cooking outside and been mostly without stoves. I have never used the "stove accessories" on my gas BBQ in the years past. I made sure to have a stove on the gasser, but just never used them. That being said, i am fine not having a stove, but i did go online and purchased a rather large, Cast Iron and portable stove. It is Natural Gas unit. It is stored in under counter storage that it is not shown on picture. From my yard, looking back in to Kitchen, there is storage on both sides of the KK. 2 large stainless steel drawers out there and it holds a lot of stuff. I kept thinking there is so much "space" under there, why not use as storage. Not easy to access from the front side, we put doors on 'outside'. Works great.

Back to stove: Cast Iron and pretty big. I have gas outlet around the side of house, so i can put Stove to right of KK. I also installed an extra "gas outlet" under the EVO Grill. So i cut put Stove next to EVO, open the door underneath, and connect hose.

In almost 2 years, i have not yet used the stove....so I am ok with not having one permanently installed. Many, though, would want one installed.

Water Drainage: if you want to wash patio floor, consider drainage. Below and to the back of the KK slot, we have a drainage hole. We can wash floor and water that goes back toward the KK will drain out to grass. You cannot see it, but it is there. In this "U-Shaped" design it is more important. Had i done just the area along the wall only, not so much of an issue.

Refrigerator or NOT.

I chose NOT to have a refrigerator. IT gets very very hot in the summer. A good one is very expensive. I don't want to store food outside. The cooks come and go and take a hour or two, so why have refrig...?? Cold Storage for food you are about to cook?? Not really...i bring it out when i am ready to cook. Beer Storage? Many would say yes, but how hard is it to go in and out for a fresh beer. $10 bucks for a small ice chest if you don't want to go in and out.

2 Large Drawers on lower right: I did not do this intentionally, but those 2 drawers can be used as and Ice Box or Ice Chest should you want this. They both have drain holes in them so you can fill them up with ice, put beer and sodas, or put trays of food in there with the ice and use as ice box. I have not done so or had desire to do so, but it can be done. They are just storage of cooking accessories and stuff at this point.

Taking Food Out to Kitchen as you cook:

Originally, with the KK only, i had purchased a rolling kitchen table/rack, about 2 foot by 3 foot rolling counter. The top was 'counter space' and cutting board. But it had lower cabinets and a drawer. Most of my cooking stuff was in here. I would prep food, put on top or cabinet below, roll out to KK and cook from it. Now i don't really need this due to all the space and storage outside. HOWEVER, now i have a medium sized serving tray. It was about 25.00 and it has handles. I now prep most food inside, and almost always it will all fit on the serving tray. Then carry it out and set on counter and most everything i need for cook is on tray. Clean up is nice too when using the tray. They went on sale later, so i got a second one for about 10.00 for when the first one breaks. I got them at Lowe's.

Water Faucet:

you want water in a kitchen. I don't "clean" up out there, but to rinse hands, wash off gross items on hands etc it is great. My sink is cold water only. Makes a for a good place to put Cigar Ash too.... LOL

Trash Can and Paper towels:

must have. I originally thought I would by a portable paper towel rack and just put out there when i needed it....then i went with the paper towel drawers. it is between the EVO grill and the KK...small cabinet. LOVE it there, use all of the time

Grill Storage and accessory storage for KK:

i wanted to be able to take off extra grills and store them close. I used to hang spare grills on side of KK, but that went away with the design of counter. So just below paper towel rack, have 2 large drawers. Open this, and there is a large shelf. I am able to put all extra grills in here and I don't care how black, tarry, or dirty it gets there. It stores my KK stuff well, keeps it close to me, and i am glad to have. Often, it is desirable to put shelfs on the counter next to KK with out bending over and putting underneath. SO, i bought a BBQ mat at Lowes, something to roll a bbq on and put on cement to cover the floor.... and will pull that out at beginning of cook and lay out on far left of KK counter area. Now, i put the dirty tarry grills there without jacking up my granite. I can put a "not hot" grill down first, then if i need to , can take off a HOT grill and put on top...and not burn the mat or mess up granite. Works well.

Natural Gas vs Propane.

I would say go natural if you can plumb it from house. I have both. I got propane for the EVO Grill so it would be portable. The infrared grill is Natural Gas, as it won't move. I did plumb the natural gas over to EVO grill, should i decided to quit moving it and desire to go with Natural only...i can convert. The door/cabinet under the EVO Grill is propane storage.

Cabinet under Sink:

more storage, cleaning supplies. Also, I have my Weed Burner/Torch stored under here. The burner is running off propane and is quite large burner. it barely fits under here. I have stored another propane tank under there as well and the burner is connected to it. I placed propane tank from the outer storage cabinet from the grass side. Tank sits in there perfect and is connect /open to storage under sink. I just open, grab torch, twist on the propane, light the KK, turn off gas and restore the burner assembly. never see it until i light the KK.

I had room for more drawers. Storage is always good. Do as much as you can

Electricity Outlets. I put one low and under sink on wall, close to where the KK rotisserie is. I just remove the cord around Motor, plug in 8 inches to right, and I have my power. I have a total of 4 power outlets, all on the walls.

Would I have done anything different? I don't think so. Just adjust for water that accumulates during the rain is about it. Smoke inside can be a hassle, but i get by. Generally not so bad. Large Vents would be the only option, but quite expensive.

Okay, that is my story of Kitchen. Maybe it will provide some thoughts to your endeavors. Good luck. Post pictures....no pictures, it did not happen !!!

Ted

MadMedik

post-574-0-72964200-1394995774_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-84302000-1394995814_thumb.jpg

That gives me a lot of great info. I've got the kk, and the bge. I'm adding a side burner, 60k btu, fridge, storage, hot and cold water sink, granite counter tops, fans, power and so on. I'm building the house as we speak, and the outdoor kitchen is roughly laid out. Things like grill locations, counter levels, and so on are still being thought about.

The kitchen itself is going to be along a 16ft edge of the patio,i'm just not really sure of grill placement. On one hand, I want the kk centered. On the other, I want it far left to use the grill hangars, but this would make the bge more central, aarrgghh!

I promise pics, I guessing May before it takes shape. Any other thoughts are welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk