jmagaram

Rib eye - oh my god!

Grilled rib eye using a technique described by Adam Perry Lang in Charred and Scruffed. Amazing flavor. Super tender. There are a lot of aspects to the recipe but I actually think the key thing is frequent basting with butter. Here are the steps. If you want the details buy the book.

Score the steaks so there are more nooks and crannies for the flavors.

Rub with mixture of salt, pepper, garlic salt, and cayenne.

Make an herb brush with thyme, rosemary, and sage. Make a basting liquid with olive oil, butter, garlic, onion, soy sauce, thyme, lemon, and vinegar.

I used the basket splitter so I'd have a cooler workspace on the grill. At a medium temp I cooked the steaks on the main grate, turning frequently, and basting using the herb brush and basting liquid. Cooked them on their sides too by leaning them against the saucepan that had the basting liquid.

Once steaks reached 95 degrees internal I took them off and rested them for about 10 minutes.

Removed main grate and left the searing grate on the second-to-lowest position - the tall handles down. Turned up the heat a bit but the dome temp didn't get more than maybe 425. I could have cranked it up or cooked on the lower position but was worried about burning the meat and basting liquid.

Seared on the searing grate again with turning every minute or so, basting throughout.

Took meat off and put on a cookie sheet covered with a sauce of oil, parsley, and garlic. Chopped the top of the herb brush and mixed it in. After letting steaks rest a few minutes I sliced them and tossed them around in the sauce.

Absolutely delicious! Perfect medium and medium rare. Had a light crust. Next time I might take one of the steaks and try to sear at higher temp for more crusty texture but flavor-wise it was close to perfect.

post-1526-139649660155_thumb.jpg

post-1526-139649661339_thumb.jpg

post-1526-139649662663_thumb.jpg

post-1526-139649663984_thumb.jpg

post-1526-139649665082_thumb.jpg

Depending on the thickness of the steak, I use either the sear grate, long handles up, on the charcoal basket for thicker cuts, and use the lower grill for the thinner ones (<1" thick). Never tried sear grate with the long handles down (humm??? - always good to have another tool in the box!) I always crank the KK as high as I can get it to do a sear (usually a reverse sear unless it's a thin steak on the lower). Chunks of either/both red oak and/or mesquite.

For a basted steak like yours with lots of fresh herbs and garlic, I'd worry about burning it and making it bitter with a super high temp sear. I'd opt for just tossing in the sauce after the sear.