DennisLinkletter

New SS Drip Pans in the works

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I always wrap my drip pan and heat deflector in aluminum foil so they stay "clean" <br />

<br />

It is probably too late, and there might not be any necessary changes anyway, but it would help to make the final design as foil wrapping friendly as possible. <br />

<br />

<br />

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Love the new design, Dennis. Two things stand out besides the conforming shape - handles to make it easier to pick up and move; and, the sides look higher and more vertical, which means less likelihood of hot fat sloshing out if you have to move it, or for holding water/stock/wine/beer for steaming during cooking.

One question - what grate size(s) are you making them for? Lower grill, main, or sear? I expect that you'll make separate ones for the 23" and Bad Boy 32", but since you're making them in a conforming shape, for which grate becomes important.

Will definitely want one when you go into production.

It is designed to sit on the lower grill or even the charcoal basket..
I have not idea how to make it more "foil friendly"  and ideas?

Yes there will eventually be one for all the sizes... can't have too much of a good thing right.?

Whatcha think about tacking on a few 1/4" rods on the bottom so it reduces heat transfer if you set it on the heat deflector and want to collect the drippings?

Looks great Dennis! I like your idea of the rods, should help keep the temp lower if it's sitting directly on the ceramic deflector. I'll be ordering one for sure!

Lastly, just a thought, but could that replace the ceramic deflector as well? It looks so sturdy, but would it get incredibly hot over the direct heat?

Lastly, just a thought, but could that replace the ceramic deflector as well? It looks so sturdy, but would it get incredibly hot over the direct heat?

I rarely if ever use the heat deflectors.. I use my drip pans as deflectors or run a sheet of tin foil from the rear to front of the lower grill and set my pan on that to get a huge indirect area..

I think you should test the metal rod concept to see if it really reduces heat transfer.

As for foil friendly, I've got a roasting pan with two handles and every so often I want to seal it tight with foil. The handles get in the way. If you wanted to make it easy to wrap with foil with NO gaps around where the handles are, make the handles jut out to the sides slightly leaving perhaps a 1 cm gap. That way the top edge of the pan is uninterrupted. Kind of tough to explain without pictures. Here is a roasting pan where the handles get in the way when wrapping...

Here is one that would be easier to wrap with foil. Basically you want the handles to jut out just enough that they don't touch the top of the pan but leave enough of a gap so you fit the foil in between the top of the pan and the handles.

In the end, if the bottom of the pan is larger than a single sheet of foil, then there is a chance the grease will seep through anyway, and the area around the handles is the least of the problems.

I may be an outlier, but I actually prefer a less heavy duty drip pan.  The drip pan is something that we actually have to remove and clean quite a bit, so something light and easy to handle is more practical - even if it needs to be replaced a bit more often.  

That's my 2 cents!  

My 2 cents - FWIW.

First, I'm not that anal about my drip pan/heat deflector looking shiny and new. I don't foil. If I need a clean pan to catch dripping, I use a disposable aluminum one, sized to fit whatever I'm cooking (most often it's to catch duck fat, a valuable commodity!) So, the ability to foil aspect is not high on my list, but if it's easily incorporated into the design, "no harm, no foul" in my book.

As I said before, I like the handles for ease of picking it up, especially when hot. I also liked the deeper construction, because if you're doing several pork butts at once, you can accumulate a lot of fat drippings, so the extra room is nice.

As far as weight is concerned, all that matters to me is that it has sufficient wall/bottom thickness that it doesn't warp with moderately high heat. The rods on the bottom could supply the extra stability to prevent warping, while providing the insulation that folks seem to want.

Love the handles, will make it much easier to remove the drip pan full of drippings  when the grill is still hot. I too foil my pan, i hate cleaning it anymore than i have to. The handles slightly away are a great idea thought if it adds to the cost I'll take the cheaper vs. I seem to have misplaced my  original drip pan DOH so I will purchase one of these as soon as it becomes available Dennis.

s