Hector

Beef Short Ribs

The better half bought me a slab of Beef Ribs from Peter Bouchier in Melbourne. The ribs were thinner than I'd have looked but looked great. I did also try to get some from Bertie's yesterday but unfortunately they didn't have any left.

This should be fun because I'm not sure whether these are my first or second slab of ribs, if the are the second, the first slab must be pretty unmemorable.

I only had to trim off a little silverskin but they were pretty well trimmed.

qy4ysy8u.jpg

I used some mustard, ButcherBBQ Rub and another rub on top of that.

mepu9e4e.jpg

daze5umu.jpg

The Komodo is on, charcoal with cherry chunks.

8e7ugate.jpg

ugygy5ed.jpg

The slab on the grill

ru9a4u7a.jpg

The ribs smoked for 8 hours at 250f, I foiled for the last hour and raised the temp

3e3yzuty.jpg

edepega4.jpg

I rested the ribs in quad foil for 30 minutes

e5y6usub.jpg

The ribs were a little thin on one end, this end was fall apart soft. The other end was still great but not as tender. Next time I would start the ribs at 7am and leave for nearer 9 hours.

7uhaqusy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/09/jyraqety.jpg

Also I'm not too sure about the cherry wood I'm using. I used plenty but the smoke ring wasn't as pink as I expected, so I'm going to order some more to see if there is a difference.

The ribs went down really well, they tasted excellent. Even the other half, who has said she didn't like Beef Ribs licked the bones clean :-) Might have another go next weekend.

I just did some boneless beef ribs. My mistake was letting the temperature get away from me. I tried to salvage them by foiling and adding some liquid, but the ends were just too dried out. Next time, I'll foil sooner. Boneless really makes a difference in how they cook, too. Glad that I stocked up when they were on sale, so I have more to "practice on." :laughing6:

Did another set of boneless beef ribs today. 6 1/2 hours @ 250F, with pecan, bourbon, and cherry woods, indirect on main grill, with Guru. Dry rubs only, no marinade. Foiled after taking off the grill and rested for 30 minutes.

Man, this is harder than brisket. Great flavor, serious crust, good texture, but a bit on the dry side internally. They are so thin, that it's difficult to cook them long enough to break down the collagen, without drying out the meat. Maybe the answer is to foil them mid-way through, similar to a 3-2-1 on pork ribs.

Any suggestions?

Hector, the smoke ring is a chemical reaction, it really doesn't have much to do with smoke. I suggest you take your cook from the fridge to the grill, spritzing occasionally if a pink ring is your goal. To me, if they taste good, it's a success.

Tony, typically, I'm not a foiler, but if the slab is decidedly different from one end to the other, foiling may be the answer. 6 1/2 hrs at 250° seems a bit long, but you're the one doing it, so use your instincts, and let us know your results! Fyi, beef ribs are an Achilles heel of mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^ I am not a butcher but my limited understanding:  Ribeye meat is from the upper and inside portion of the rib section.  Whereas short ribs are from the outer portion and lower, plate section, of the rib cage.  I don't think ribeye meat is the same as any meat marketed as "short rib" meat be it bone-in or boneless.  If you try to quick grill short ribs, like you would a ribeye, I think you'd discover the chewy difference.  

• Like 1

These were boneless ribs, so basically 1/2" -  3/4" thick slabs about 2" x 8" (pre-cooked).

I've tried several different cooking regimes, varying cooking temperatures/time, marinades, but haven't found the "sweet spot" yet. This attempt (low & slow) came out better than the last one, which was 325F for 3 hours. Those were both dry and tough. 

Like I said before, I'm not a fan of foiling pork ribs (3-2-1 method), but I may give it a try with these boneless beef ribs to see if that gives better results. 

Those ribs look delicious!!

For the smoke ring 5698k is bang on, its a chemical reaction. Put your meat on cold and start smoking at a lower temp at first. The longer the surface of the meat stays below 140 or so degrees more of a smoke ring will form. I haven't tried it yet myself yet, add some celery salt to your rub. Celery salt has lots of nitrates I was told.

• Like 1

Yes, celery powder or celery juice is used to cure bacon that's labeled "uncured" or "nitrate free." It's seriously misleading marketing. Another bogus health claim (pink salt/sodium nitrate) causes cancer. No, it prevents botulism. To get to the levels of nitrate that those rats were subjected to in the cancer study, you'd have to eat pounds of the stuff, not teaspoons! Similar to all that frackus about MSG!  angry9:

• Like 1

I sometimes get the boneless beef rib package from Costco, there's four per pack, and BBQ them all at once. I used the recipe on chefsteps.com (just type BBQ beef ribs in the search field and it will come up easy) where you sous vide the ribs then smoke them. The first time I did it they were soft, juicy, and amazing. Another time they were only ho hum and a touch dry. You might want to look at that technique and give it a try.<br />

<br />

Aloha,<br />

<br />

Josh<br />

<br />

<br />

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You are right, it follows the same technique but you are keeping them in the sous vide for something like 12 hours if I remember correctly. The first time I did it I had no pressure and took my time. The last two times I was doing that along with two other meats (ribs and brisket) and so I always had to make adjustments and it never turned out as good. I keep hearing that beef ribs done right is better than brisket, but I haven't been able to consistently prove that. I am happy to keep trying both though in my experiments!<br />

<br />

<br />

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1