BigLazy23

New Terra Cotta 23" OTB...

Stopping in to say hi and introduce myself. Finalized payment last week and am excited to be joining the Komodo family soon (surprisingly my wife seems almost as excited as I am which makes it even sweeter). Of course pictures once the cooker is received and get our first cook going (have not decided yet what it will be). I'm sure I will have some questions and hope to also share what I learn with others.

BigLazy23

Thanks all, appreciate the support and I am sure I will have plenty of questions.  I have cooked for a number of years on Weber cookers and electric smokers so I am excited to learn all there is to know about ceramic cookers.  I haven't received my KK yet so I can't post pictures... and am still trying to figure out how to post pictures.. so tomorrow I will devote to posting pictures of my KKs new home (hoping my attempt at attaching a picture works and I accomplish this today....).

Test - posting a photo of my KKs new home when received. Will need to do some shuffling as we don't have a large patio; the KK is going to replace the location of the Weber.

Had some trouble uploading photos as the uploader says there is a 500KB maximum.  Was able to play with the image to get it under 500KB but hope to find a workaround so that I don't have to do that for every picture.  Saw some similar threads on this topic (particularly the one about posting pictures through Tapatalk) that I will go through in more detail so I'm ready when the cooker arrivers.

post-1797-0-75875800-1404733385_thumb.jp

Looks good Lazy! And no prob putting it back up against a fence, that's how mine is and it does not put off hardly any heat out the back.

A few movement tips:

1). Move it like the instructions say, BEFORE you attach the lid.

2). Get some plywood sheets to lay down on the grass and she will roll right over smooth as butter.

Post some pics when you're up and running!

Normstar - Thanks, was concerned about putting the grill up against the fence but give our limited options we don't have too many options. Regarding moving, any tips are much appreciated. Pics will definitely come!

Loquitur - Corner lot with lots of fence and not a lot of land is spot on (being excited about receiving the KK I taped it out today to see how it will fit on the patio). Looking forward to adding the KK and have much to learn about cooking from yourself and others on the forum.

After waiting impatiently our Komodo is within 20 miles of our house. I will be traveling during the week so we won't take delivery until Friday of this week.

One final cook on the Weber tonight was chicken, corn, and bread. All locally sourced but the bread. Chicken was left in the fridge uncovered for 24 hours (per. Naked Whiz - will try this again) and then seasoned both over and under the skin with Dizzy Pig Raisin the Steaks and a coat of olive oil. Cooked over indirect heat with Royal Oak lump and a combo of Fruita Wood apple and pecan.

Overall was good. Chicken skin was more rubbery than I would like but I had trouble with temps and most of the cook was around 350 so at a higher temp I believe will cure the skin issue. Little too much spice as well so next time might season underneath the skin and let the lump/wood take care of the skin.

Looking forward to receiving the Komodo - more pics to come this weekend. Thinking of a pork butt for our first cook using the Chris Lilly's recipe - can't wait!

yge2anys.jpg

a5e9uset.jpg

9umupy3u.jpg

• Like 1