jeffshoaf

Spares?

I generally go simple since I had a few experiments fail due to rubs and sauces overpowering the meat. My last few rib cooks just used salt, pepper, and garlic powder, slow cooked with heart deflector and drip pan over charcoal and some hickory and Apple wood, 225 - 250 for 4 or 5 hours. I didn't even monitor the meat temp this round.

Foil is for storing, not cooking!

I usually make my own sauce based on tomatoes, honey, and molasses, but I was otherwise occupied and dipped these in Bone Sucking Sauce from the grocery store. Very happy (and full) with the results.

• Like 1

Foil is for storing, not cooking!

i'd agree, if you count hayboxing/hotboxing as "storing"...  works great for ribs and shoulders...  wrap in saran and then foil, and throw in a styro cooler packed with batting (old newspapers or old walmart bags works great) and just let them sit for a couple hours.  allows the juices to settle and everything really tenders up.  great for when your q comes off the smoker well in advance of the party.  try it sometime!

i'd agree, if you count hayboxing/hotboxing as "storing"... works great for ribs and shoulders... wrap in saran and then foil, and throw in a styro cooler packed with batting (old newspapers or old walmart bags works great) and just let them sit for a couple hours. allows the juices to settle and everything really tenders up. great for when your q comes off the smoker well in advance of the party. try it sometime!

I do count hotboxing as storage and have used it for both butts and ribs - it's just short-term storage! I have a small cooler that is just the right size for two butts with two towels.

Don't you think 4-5 hours is a bit  too long to cook ribs ?  If it works for you more power.  I did Spares this past Sunday and they took 3 1/2  hours and the cooking temp was 250.  They were really good.  Am I doing something wrong ?  I don't know.  I didn't foil and I don't like the idea of doing it.  I don't get the 3-2-1 Method.