DennisLinkletter

Careful.. Dome 900º ~ Lower grill 1452º!!

We've all see the difference between the dome and main grill temps..

I brought home the factory's high temp thermometer with a thermocouple that goes to 1,700ºf placed it on the upper flipped over and set down on the firebox.. Cranked it up and took shots of the digital readout with the dome's TelTru in the same shot.

The results were beyond what I expected.. and just goes to show that  650º-675º dome  is the hottest you ever really need to take your KK for hight temp sears..

I know that I have customers who bought the TelTru's  200/1000 so that they could do  1,000º sears.. this shows that the actual grate temp would be way over 1500º and not only unnecessary but dangerous too..

Remember unlike all other grills all of the air leaving the chimney on the Komodo Kamado is forced to the  charcoal.  there is no gap between the firebox and body and no holes drilled through the firebox which lets  air bypass the charcoal.

Dome 510ºf                                                              Dome 560ºf
Lower Grill                                                                Lower Grill
324ºc = 615ºf                                                           344ºc = 650ºf
324=615f.jpg                                .                     344=650.jpg

Dome 615ºf                                                             Dome 650ºf
Lower Grill                                                               Lower Grill
401ºc = 753ºf                                                          430ºc = 806ºf
401=753.jpg                                 .                    430=806.jpg

Dome 710ºf                                                             Dome  770ºf  ??
Lower Grill                                                               Lower Grill
638ºc = 1,180ºf                                                       702ºc = 1,295ºf
638=1180.jpg                               .                702=1295.jpg

Dome 800ºf  ??                                                        Dome Tel Tru Pegged 900ºf  ??
753ºc = 1,388ºf                                                        800ºc = 1,472ºf
753=1388.jpg                              .                       800=1472.jpg

TelTru.jpg                                     .      Thermocouple.jpg
  • Like 1

I just posted this elsewhere on this forum but thought it was relevant here too..

The more freely the exhaust exits the chimney, the more vacuum is created. Unlike other charcoal grills there is no gap between the body and firebox or holes in the firebox that lets air bypass the charcoal.  All air that leaves the grill creates forced airflow thru the charcoal. This is why the KK gets going so quickly..
Air will always take the path of least resistance.. i.e. the gap and holes first.
I designed the KK to be a high performance tool.. creating these passages for airflow to go around the charcoal is like putting a rev limiter on a sports car.. That being said, you need to be responsible because if you take a call and walk away you can actually get hot enough to make the bottom of the 1/4" 304 stainless basket sag and droop a bit.. Wonder what kind of heat that takes!

Chef - I'm not fan of it either Buttttt Ralph can get up to temp and with some practice I can do the cooks. People will eat whatever we cook if we are good at it. And any how I don't have anyone in my circle that can even come close. I know the Komodo-Kamado can do it If I can. This will be more fun than the super low and slow Eye of Rounds I did on Ralph..

I'm a big fan of Indian food and have done Tandoori chicken in the KK many a time, along with lamb kabobs. I've always wondered if you could do Naan in the KK, but the walls in mine are a bit sooty/greasy. I suppose I could wipe that off beforehand with a wet sponge. 

Would it be better to plaster the dough on the dome or lower on the walls in the base?? Use the sear grate as a "safety net" to keep them from falling in the fire? Anybody got any experience doing this??

The refractory hot face material's service temp is 2,200ºf   That being said, the hotter you get the more crazing you will get because there is just no escaping physics.. I don't suggest taking the grill over 750º dome.. There is just no reason to do this.. no cooking technique requires this.

Dennis - Sounds good to me. Up until now i have been a low and slow person. Given that What are youe suggestions for temp to clean the unit and Have you done any Tandoor type cooking?

Thanks for the input I was feeling just a lot over my head.

The hot face service temp is 2,200ºf but the material is considered a consumable at those temps. Blast furnaces need regular maintenance and filling with the refractory patch at those working temps.  

Your KK grill is designed to last a lifetime at "food cooking temps"  not to be used as a kiln.   

The smoke point of lard is only 370ºf   So high temps where you create enough heat to make your grill expand is really unnecessary... There is no escaping physics.. the grill does and will expand when taken to high temps.. This can be confirmed by the small crazing on the smooth grout finish on your grill's lips.  High temp blasting your grill from black to grey will be detrimental to it's long life and is not necessary.  The inside of a grill/smoker should be black.. it's not dirty.  

Regularly taking your KK to 900ºf dome / 1452ºf  lower to clean your grates is a good way to damage your grill..

Please do not do it..

• Like 3

On 3/19/2015 at 5:13 AM, DennisLinkletter said:

The hot face service temp is 2,200ºf but the material is considered a consumable at those temps. Blast furnaces need regular maintenance and filling with the refractory patch at those working temps.  

Your KK grill is designed to last a lifetime at "food cooking temps"  not to be used as a kiln.   

The smoke point of lard is only 370ºf   So high temps where you create enough heat to make your grill expand is really unnecessary... There is no escaping physics.. the grill does and will expand when taken to high temps.. This can be confirmed by the small crazing on the smooth grout finish on your grill's lips.  High temp blasting your grill from black to grey will be detrimental to it's long life and is not necessary.  The inside of a grill/smoker should be black.. it's not dirty.  

Regularly taking your KK to 900ºf dome / 1452ºf  lower to clean your grates is a good way to damage your grill..

Please do not do it..

Why do I feel like Sister Mary Angelina just rapped me across the knuckles with a wooden ruler??

• Like 1